Crunchy crusted chicken
This chicken has the satisfying crust of its fried cousin, but it is baked instead. The crisp coating is provided not by breadcrumbs but by cornflakes. This is handy if you want a gluten- free crunch – just make sure to check the cornflake packet to be sure of that. This cornflake crust makes a good, cheap alternative to panko breadcrumbs, which can work out expensive. Splurge instead on the best- quality chicken you can afford. All of our birds come from The Friendly Farmer in Athenry. Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper Radishes and salad leaves to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon the mustard and the garlic into a shallow dish. Add the egg and whisk to combine.
4. Put the cornflakes into a bowl and crush them by hand until they look like coarse breadcrumbs. You don’t want dust.
5. Add the cayenne pepper to the flakes and use a fork to mix in.
6. Working with one piece at a time, dip the chicken in the egg mixture, turning the pieces to coat them.
7. Then coat with seasoned cornflakes, pressing the flakes to help them stick.
8. Transfer the coated pieces to a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp – about 40 minutes. By this time the chicken will be cooked through, but do check.
9. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.