Mul­lane does the dam­age as Waterford record first win

Waterford Gal­way 1-14 0-15

The Irish Times - Monday - Sport - - National Hurling League Gaelic Games -

just a cou­ple of Power frees as his op­po­site free-taker, Hor­gan, kept the score­board tick­ing along.

Just af­ter the hour Cork edged in front for the first time since the open­ing minute, a Hor­gan free com­plet­ing a sig­nif­i­cant set of four, ini­ti­ated by Egan’s mighty long-range free and in­clud­ing a fine Jamie Cough­lan ef­fort from the right. Twice, Power re­stored par­ity, but Cork’s mo­men­tum car­ried them over the line in an ex­cit­ing cli­max and a cou­ple of Hor­gan frees com­pleted a sat­is­fac­tory af­ter­noon for Barry-mur­phy’s side.




Cody of­fered no ex­cuses. “We were beaten by the bet­ter team and Cork could have won by more,” he said. CORK: D Óg Cu­sack; S O’neill, S Mcdon­nell, B Mur­phy; S Óg Ó hailpín, E Cado­gan, W Egan (0-2, 65, free); L Mclough­lin, D Sweet­nam (0-1); C Le­hane (0-1), P Cronin (0-1), C Naughton (0-2); J Cough­lan (0-1), P O’sul­li­van (1-1), P Hor­gan (0-8, seven frees). Subs: N Mccarthy for Naughton (48), J Gar­diner for Sweet­nam (68) KILKENNY: D Her­rity; P Mur­phy, N Hickey, W Phe­lan; K Joyce, B Ho­gan, JJ De­laney; M Fen­nelly, M Rice (0-1); TJ Reid (0-1), R Power (1-11, 1-0 pen, eight frees, 65), M Ruth; E Mur­phy, E Larkin, R Ho­gan (0-2). Subs: C Fen­nelly for Mur­phy (43), A Fogarty for Reid (51), J Mul­hall for Ruth (59) Ref­eree: M Wad­ding (Waterford) WATERFORD GAVE them­selves a great chance of avoid­ing rel­e­ga­tion as they carved our their first win of the cam­paign, at Pearse Sta­dium in Salthill yes­ter­day.

Now they will face the hold­ers Dublin next week­end in a real rel­e­ga­tion bat­tle and man­ager Michael Ryan is thrilled with the way they have turned things around af­ter a tur­bu­lent week.

“I felt there was a good per­for­mance in this team and that’s what we needed be­cause Gal­way are a good team. But I am de­lighted with the way it worked out, I am de­lighted for the play­ers.

“It does set it up, but Dublin are a very good team and we wouldn’t like to get too car­ried away. We didn’t cure all of our prob­lems to­day. There is a lot of hard work to be done down the line but we know that. And we’ll take each day as it comes and build on it,” said Ryan.

Once again, the value of John Mul­lane to this Waterford team was em­pha­sised and he made an ex­cel­lent first ap­pear­ance of the sea­son, while there was also a late cameo ap­pear­ance for Eoin Kelly.

Gal­way were beaten to a lot of the 50-50 balls in the open­ing half as their youth­ful side was given a les­son in hard graft.

Gal­way boss An­thony Cun­ning­ham, whose side now need to get a re­sult in Kilkenny next week­end to qual­ify, was dis­ap­pointed that a late rally did not se­cure a win.

“We are very dis­ap­pointed be­cause a win would have put us into the league semi-final.

“But play­ing the last three or four Sun­days prob­a­bly caught up with us to­day. We were very flat, with a lot of very poor play, miss­ing the ball, pick­ing it up poorly, de­fend­ing poorly and at­tack­ing poorly and tak­ing wrong op­tions. Over­all, right through the team we were flat and it is some­thing we need to work on for next week­end,” he said.

This en­counter in the Salthill sun­shine was never a dirty one but both sides were re­duced to 14 men by the 27th minute with Waterford’s Shane O’sul­li­van and Gal­way de­fender De­clan Con­nolly both pick­ing up sec­ond yel­low cards in sep­a­rate in­ci­dents.

Waterford led by 0-8 to 0-5 at the in­ter­val but should have been fur­ther ahead as while they were on top they shot seven wides.

The in­tro­duc­tion of Joseph Cooney gave Gal­way some im­pe­tus, with the first of Andy Smith’s brace re­duc­ing the mar­gin to a point. How­ever, Waterford re­sponded well be­fore the break and Pau­ric Ma­hony, one of three late re­place­ments, tacked on an­other on his way to a haul of 0-9 from frees.

But it was Mul­lane who did most dam­age to Gal­way in his first out­ing of the year and he found the range be­fore the break to leave them a goal to the good.

The sides ex­changed points a cou­ple of times af­ter the restart be­fore Mul­lane broke in from the left to set up Shane Walsh for the only goal of the game af­ter 41 min­utes.

Gal­way lost goal­keeper James Ske­hill to a shoul­der in­jury picked up try­ing to block Walsh’s bat­ted ef­fort. But with David Burke su­perb in mid­field they staged a late rally.but they were un­able to com­plete the come­back and Walsh en­sured a Waterford win with a late point from dis­tance. WATERFORD: S O’ke­effe; P Ma­hony, L Lawlor, A Kear­ney; D Fives, M Walsh, S O’sul­li­van; D Twomey, K Mo­ran; M Shana­han (0-1), P Ma­hony (0-9, frees), E Mcgrath; J Mul­lane (0-2), S Walsh (1-2), G O’brien. Subs: J Na­gle for Twomey (47 mins); S Pren­der­gast for Mcgrath, (56 mins); E Kelly for Shana­han (62 mins); M O’neill for O’brien (70 mins); D O’sul­li­van for P Ma­hony, (70 mins). GAL­WAY: J Ske­hill; G O’hal­lo­ran, D Collins, D Con­nolly; J Coen, F Moore, N Donoghue (0-1); D Burke (0-3), A Smith (0-2); C Cooney (0-1), N Burke (0-5, three frees), C Don­nel­lan; D Hayes, B Daly (0-2), B Burke. Subs: J Cooney for B Burke (20 mins); J Ryan for Ske­hill (43 mins); D Glen­non for Don­nel­lan, (49 mins); B Fla­herty (0-1 mins) for Donoghue (51 mins); J Re­gan for Smith, (62 mins). Ref­eree: A Sta­ple­ton (Laois).

Pho­to­graph: Don­all Farmer/inpho

Cork wing for­ward Conor Le­hane comes in to chal­lenge Kilkenny goal­keeper David Her­rity dur­ing yes­ter­day’s Al­lianz Na­tional Hurl­ing League Di­vi­sion One A game at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.