Dortmund left feeling abandoned
The eloquence of the Borussia Dortmund players and their manager in the wake of Tuesday’s pipe bomb attack did Uefa few favours with the federation coming in for widespread criticism over its insistence that the postponed game be played less than 24 hours after the original scheduled kick-off time.
“The pain, the panic and the uncertainty of not knowing what was going on, or how long it would last . . . were the longest and hardest 15 minutes of my life,” said Marc Bartra who was injured in the incident.
“Until I was on the pitch in the second half I didn’t think about football, to be honest,” remarked his clearly emotional team-mate, Nuri Sahin, after the game had been played. “I know football is very important. We love football, we suffer with football, we love football. I know we earn a lot of money and have a privileged life, but we are human beings. There is so much more than football in this world and last night we felt it.”
Their coach, Thomas Tuchel, made it clear they had not been happy with the way Uefa had acted. “We weren’t asked at any point,” he said. “We were told by text message that the decision had been made in Switzerland. When they told us ‘you’re up tomorrow’, we felt completely ignored.”
In England, somebody at the Mail helpfully decided to tweet the club’s bus seating plan to show just where everyone was in relation to the explosion. The fact that none of Bartra, Sahin or Tuchel featured should probably have set some alarm bells ringing in the paper’s social media department; that or the fact that Jurgen Klopp and Manchester City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan now earn their living in England.