Burke’s goal de­ci­sive as Co­rofin win in ex­tra-time

The Irish Times - Monday - Sport - - Gaelic Games | Club Championships -

Co­rofin 2-15 St Brigid’s 1-14 Af­ter ex­tra-time

Co­rofin qualified for their fourth Con­nacht fi­nal in a row when All-Star hurl­ing full­back Daithí Burke blasted home the cru­cial score at Tuam Sta­dium yes­ter­day.

Burke came on as a sub­sti­tute in the sec­ond half of this semi-fi­nal when St Brigid’s ral­lied with a good re­vival. The Roscom­mon cham­pi­ons looked dead and buried when they trailed by five points with 13 min­utes re­main­ing but they never gave up and a goal from Cathal McHugh hauled them right back into con­tention.

That helped them get the gap down to two points but reign­ing cham­pi­ons Co­rofin looked set to ad­vance as the game slipped into stop­page time. How­ever, St Brigid’s fin­ished strongly against the wind, with Se­nan Kil­bride cut­ting the mar­gin to a point with a free from 20 me­tres and then the for­mer Roscom­mon player showed com­mend­able com­po­sure to force the game to ex­tra-time when he landed one from 35 me­tres in the fifth minute of stop­page time.

That forced the game to ex­tra-time, with Co­rofin again gain­ing an edge against the breeze to lead by 1-15 to 1-14 at the in­ter­val, thanks to points from Ja­son Leonard, Gary Sice and Ro­nan Steede in re­sponse to ef­forts from Padraig Kelly, a 45 from goal­keeper Shane Man­nion for St Brigid’s.

The de­ci­sive score came just 20 sec­onds af­ter the restart when Ian Burke col­lected a re­bound to set up his cousin and Gal­way’s All-Ire­land win­ning hurl­ing full-back found the net with a crack­ing shot.

There was still plenty of time for St Brigid’s to come back but Co­rofin, hav­ing al­ready en­dured one good re­vival from the Roscom­mon cham­pi­ons, closed out the deal this time to set up a Con­nacht fi­nal date with Castle­bar Mitchels.

That clash in two weeks will be a re­peat of the 2015 fi­nal which was won by Castle­bar Mitchels.

Good po­si­tion

They were in a good po­si­tion when they led by 1-5 to 0-6 at the end of the open­ing half, hav­ing played against the wind. A goal from Ian Burke, af­ter a su­perb pass from Michael Lundy, saw them draw level seven min­utes from the break be­fore Ja­son Leonard edged them in front for the first time.

They pushed that lead out to 1-9 to 0-7 go­ing into the fi­nal quar­ter but St Brigid’s hit back and McHugh’s goal af­ter a build-up in­volv­ing Ro­nan Stack and Kelly, set up an ex­cit­ing fin­ish.

But in the end Daithi Burke’s goal proved the de­ci­sive score as the Gal­way cham­pi­ons ad­vanced.

All-Star hurl­ing full­back Daithí Burke: was a sec­ond-half sub­sti­tute

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.