Par­rock proves the dif­fer­ence in Wex­ford vic­tory

Wex­ford Youths 1 Par­rock 33 Peamount Utd 0

The Irish Times - Monday - Sport - - Sports - JOHN FAL­LON at the Aviva Sta­dium

Ka­t­rina Par­rock’s first-half win­ner claimed the women’s FAI Cup and the tre­ble for Wex­ford Youths at the Aviva Sta­dium yes­ter­day but Peamount United were left be­moan­ing some ref­er­ee­ing de­ci­sions.

Repub­lic of Ire­land in­ter­na­tional Am­ber Bar­rett was in­volved in all the con­tentious in­ci­dents, two gen­uine penalty claims sand­wiched in be­tween by a du­bi­ous one.

“A lot of de­ci­sions didn’t go our way,” said Peamount United man­ager James O’Cal­laghan. “We had a stonewall penalty in the first half turned down and might have had an­other one later on. The de­feat is dif­fi­cult on the girls be­cause I thought we were the bet­ter team.”


Firstly, on the stroke of the in­ter­val, Orla Con­lon’s shove on the for­ward went un­pun­ished. Bar­rett could eas­ily have been booked for simulation 12 min­utes from the end when she hit the ground fol­low­ing an­other Con­lon chal­lenge and that may have in­flu­enced a stronger claim in stop­page time go­ing against her.

Ei­ther way, Peamount hardly threat­ened Naoisha McAloon in the Wex­ford goal once they fell be­hind.

Like­wise, the vic­tors weren’t ex­actly fluid in the fi­nal third but Par­rock’s mo­ment of magic proved the dif­fer­ence.

The winger, who won four All-Ire­land camo­gie medals for her na­tive Wex­ford, swiv­elled bril­liantly from Emma Hans­berry’s cross 11 min­utes be­fore the break to notch the only goal of an evenly-con­tested de­cider.

That break­through came fol­low­ing an early spell of pres­sure by Peamount. Áine O’Gor­man and Me­gan Smyth-Lynch wasted a cou­ple of clearcut open­ings. Just a minute af­ter Edel Kennedy had a goal dis­al­lowed, Par­rock re­peated her trick from the semi-fi­nal by bag­ging the win­ner.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.