A lot done, slightly more to do in Rath­farn­ham

The Irish Times - Thursday - Property - - Feature - ROSE DOYLE 425,000

De­scrip­tion: Mid-ter­race, early 19th cen­tury two bed with small gar­den Agent: Prop­erty Part­ners O’Brien Swaine St Mary’s Av­enue has a lot of charm. Tucked into an al­most hid­den niche to the side of Rath­farn­ham’s land­mark Yel­low House pub, its fac­ing ter­races of 1925, peb­ble-dash/red­brick-fronted houses have a self-con­tained air and some pretty gar­dens.

Num­ber 15 St Mary’s Av­enue is mid-ter­race, and the sec­ond house in t he av­enue brought to the mar­ket by Prop­erty Part­ners O’Brien Swaine this year; num­ber 16 sold for ¤460,00 six months ago. The own­ers of num­ber 15 bought it two years ago for ¤305,000; now the agent is seek­ing ¤425,000.

The own­ers were more than half­way through a thought­ful re­fur­bish­ment when an op­por­tu­nity de­cided them to move. Some 60 per cent of the orig­i­nal fea­tures have been re­fur­bished, an im­pres­sive new shower suite in­stalled and roof and other main­te­nance work car­ried out. The other 40 per cent or so of liv­ing space is in good liv­ing or­der, though a new owner might like to com­plete the re­fur­bish­ment.

A com­pact 80sq m (861sq ft), the prop­erty has two bedr o o ms, a s i t t i n g r o o m, fam­ily/din­ingroom, kitchen and shower suite with a win­dow on to the small, en­closed rear gar­den. A rear laun­dry­room has been plumbed and a rear stor­age shed has a hard­wood work­bench and shelving.

The ven­dors’ re­fur­bish­ment in­cluded re­plac­ing the roof on the kitchen ex­ten­sion and re­tain­ing an orig­i­nal Bangor slate roof on the shower suite. They have also stripped floors and stairs back to the orig­i­nal timber, re­vealed quarry tiles, cast-iron (func­tion­ing) fire­places, dado and pic­ture rails and more. Stira lead to a par­tially floored at­tic. A small, railed front gar­den need­ing some TLC has hol­ly­hocks.

The sit­tin­groom is a quin­tes­sen­tial, early 19th-cen­tury “front room” with a cast-iron fire­place in the cor­ner, pic­ture rail and pol­ished wood floor. Bass­wood win­dow shut­ters are a nice touch both here and in the main bed­room. A timber floor in the hall­way, given light via the orig­i­nal leaded glass in the front door, leads to a pol­ished timber s t ai r s . The fam­ily/din­ingroom has a quarry-tiled floor that con­tin­ues into the stylish shower suite where an an­te­room has a sky­light, baby Belfast sink and stor­age.

The main bed­room is to the front and has two win­dows, a high ceil­ing and a tall, nar­row, white-painted cast-iron fire­place.

A sec­ond, rear bed­room has a sim­i­lar fire­place. A new owner will likely want to work on the kitchen, while a pantry/stor­age area of­fers good stor­age space.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.