Have I got fake news for you?
1. Which of these stories is not fake news?
a) China is considering public flogging for anyone disrespecting the Chinese national anthem b) A Swiss expert says an “invisible” Border is a possibility after Brexit c) New Zealand is banning Australians from buying houses d) Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau went to work dressed as Thor for Halloween
2. Which of these names appeared most often on irishtimes.com last week?
a) Ibrahim Halawa (above) b) Carles Puigdemont c) Kevin Spacey d) Tom Humphries
3. A seemingly innocuous tweet about Manchester United landed a prominent public figure in hot water. Who was it?
a) Minister for Transport Shane Ross b) Minister of State at the OPW Kevin “Boxer” Moran c) Newstalk presenter Ciara Kelly d) Today FM presenter Matt Cooper
4. Who said this?
“It is another one where things get blown out and they love to just… any chance they get the love to throw me under the bus”
a) Minister for Transport Shane Ross b) US president Donald Trump c) UFC fighter Conor McGregor d) UK chancellor Philip Hammond 5. Who is this?
6. What is the main issue bogging down talks on restoring the Northern Ireland Assembly?
a) Same-sex marriage b) The Irish Language Act c) Dealing with the past d) Inquests into past killings
7. Which of these women is not in the list of top 10 earners at RTÉ?
a) Claire Byrne b) Miriam O’Callaghan c) Kathryn Thomas d) Marian Finucane
8. Australian minister for consumer affairs Marlene Kairouz is in hot water over a racist remark. What did she say?
a) “If any Abos ring your doorbell selling jewellery, don’t buy anything off them.” b) “If anybody knocks at your door who has an Irish accent, ask them to leave.” c) “If any pommie comes looking for an Australian passport because of Brexit, don’t entertain their request.” d) “If any Kiwis come here looking to buy a house, we should run them out of the country.”
9. Dan Brown is – unsurprisingly – at the top of the Irish bestseller lists for October. What’s his latest book called?
a) Origin b) Exodus c) Da Vinci Returns d) The Boticelli Conundrum
10. Who is the highest-earning dead pop star?
a) Elvis Presley b) John Lennon c) Bob Marley d) Michael Jackson