Carbon monoxide is a silent killer
THE government have taken major steps in recent years to forecast the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and how people can take simple precautions. Proper ventilation is important but given the unseen danger that is Carbon Monoxide, it’s worth going that extra step to keep your home safe.
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas and is a common - yet preventable - cause of death. Approximately half the deaths from unintentional CO Poisonings result from smoke inhalation from home fires. CO poisoning in the home relates to domestic heating and fossil fuel installations (excluding the inhalation of smoke from fires).
It’s important to take note of this danger by making sure ventilation grills are kept clear, while it’s no harm to familiarise yourself with other danger signs like staining on walls, soothing or discoloration around the heating appliance; a yellow or orange flame that is normally blue in colour, condensation and dampness on walls where the appliance is, and rusting or water streaking on the appliance, vent or chimney.
Another danger is home improvements and one should be mindful of this as building new extensions, knocking walls, carrying out insulation works can alter the way in which dangerous toxins are allowed permeate from the home.
You should also buy a Carbon Monoxide alarm from a local hardware or DIY shop. For a price tag of €25 to €30, it’s a wise investment and will ensure extra peace of mind for you and your family as the dark winter evenings approach.