The Kerryman (Tralee Edition) - - CLUB NEWS -


Ques­tion: How are char­i­ties reg­u­lated in Ire­land?

An­swer: The Char­i­ties Reg­u­la­tory Au­thor­ity (Char­i­ties Reg­u­la­tor) reg­u­lates char­i­ties in Ire­land. It main­tains a pub­lic reg­is­ter of char­i­ties and mon­i­tors their com­pli­ance with the Char­i­ties Act 2009. This Act sets out what an or­gan­i­sa­tion must do to be recog­nised as a char­ity and the le­gal obli­ga­tions for op­er­at­ing as a char­ity in Ire­land.

To be con­sid­ered a char­ity, an or­gan­i­sa­tion must: Op­er­ate in the Repub­lic of Ire­land (though its tar­get group can be else­where)

Ex­ist for a char­i­ta­ble pur­pose and ex­clu­sively pro­mote this pur­pose (a char­i­ta­ble pur­pose is a goal that is of pub­lic ben­e­fit)

Not be an ex­cluded body (such as a trade union, cham­ber of com­merce etc.)

The or­gan­i­sa­tion must first give the Reg­u­la­tor in­for­ma­tion about it­self, so the Reg­u­la­tor can as­sess if it meets the re­quire­ments to be a char­ity. If the Reg­u­la­tor ap­proves the ap­pli­ca­tion, it awards the or­gan­i­sa­tion char­i­ta­ble sta­tus, gives it a Reg­is­tered Char­ity Num­ber and lists it on the char­i­ties reg­is­ter. You can search the char­i­ties reg­is­ter on char­i­ties­reg­is­ It is an of­fence for an or­gan­i­sa­tion to de­scribe it­self as a char­ity and carry out char­i­ta­ble ac­tiv­i­ties, if it is not reg­is­tered with the Char­i­ties Reg­u­la­tor.

The Reg­u­la­tor can ap­point an in­spec­tor to in­ves­ti­gate a char­ity’s af­fairs. The char­ity and its trustees must co-op­er­ate fully and give the in­spec­tor all the rel­e­vant ac­counts and doc­u­ments.

The Reg­u­la­tor can choose to take a char­ity off the reg­is­ter -- for ex­am­ple, if it fails to com­ply with its fi­nan­cial obli­ga­tions or give the Reg­u­la­tor the in­for­ma­tion it re­quires.

If you are con­cerned about a char­ity or its ac­tiv­i­ties, you can raise a con­cern with the Char­i­ties Reg­u­la­tor. Fur­ther in­for­ma­tion is avail­able from the Cit­i­zens In­for­ma­tion Cen­tre below.

Know Your Rights has been com­piled by Kerry Cit­i­zens In­for­ma­tion Ser­vice which pro­vides a free and con­fi­den­tial ser­vice to the pub­lic.

Con­tact us in Tralee on Tel: 0761 07 7860; Kil­lar­ney 0761 07 7820; Lis­towel 0761 07 7840 Ken­mare 0761 07 7810; Ca­her­civeen 0761 07 7780. Out­reach Ser­vices; Kil­lor­glin weekly, Din­gle monthly, please call Tralee for more in­for­ma­tion.

In­for­ma­tion is also avail­able on­line at cit­i­zensin­for­ma­ and from the Cit­i­zens In­for­ma­tion Phone Ser­vice, 0761 07 4000

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.