St Mary’s and Gaels draw

The Sligo Champion - - SPORT - BY EMMA GAL­LAGHER


THE early game in the Lola Mon­tez Ju­nior A Cham­pi­onship was a very en­ter­tain­ing en­counter be­tween Sham­rock Gaels and St Mary’s on Sun­day.

The Group 3 round 2 game saw pe­ri­ods of qual­ity foot­ball from both sides. It was St Mary’s who led for most of the match but late in the sec­ond half it was Sham­rock Gaels who took the lead when in­flu­en­tial sub­sti­tute Brian Boyd net­ted to put the River­stown out­fit two points in front.

St Mary’s didn’t panic though and with two late points from Dar­ragh Kiely and Jonathan Lynch meant the sides couldn’t be sep­a­rated at the end.

Sham­rock Gaels were ru­ing a num­ber of wides in the first half, they hit 11 in to­tal in this half as they could have been in front at the break, in­stead it was the John Lynch man­aged St Mary’s who were in front by two at the in­ter­val. Sham­rock Gaels had an Eoin McDer­mott goal chance slip nar­rowly wide, the full for­ward us­ing his height ad­van­tage to gain pos­ses­sion in the aerial chal­lenge. It was St Mary’s Hadi Mousa who put them in front with a fine point from play on eight min­utes, which was added to by an­other from half- for­ward Niall McDer­mott. St Mary’s Der­mot O’Con­nor was loom­ing close to the Sham­rock Gaels goal on 12 min­utes, af­ter a good pass from Mousa, but Sham­rock Gaels de­fended well.

A Daniel Lang free on 19 mintues saw them three in front, be­fore Sham­rock Gaels reg­is­tered their first score from a free on 20 min­utes, Stephen Wil­lis on target as sub­sti­tute Brian Boyd was in­tro­duced into the fray. Boyd im­me­di­ately hav­ing an im­pact as he scored straight away. Then on 24 min­utes, Shamorck Gaels were awarded a penalty by ref­eree Rory Dil­lon. The move be­gan when mid­fielder Cian McDer­mott sought out the lurk­ing Boyd who was pulled to the ground.

Up stepped Johnny Kenny and the former Sligo Rovers man saw his penalty saved by the out­stretched Alan Sheerin in the St Mary’s goal. Aaron McGoldrick scor­ing the last point of the half as St Mary’s led 0- 4 to 0- 2 at the break. The third quar­ter was dom­i­nated by St Mary’s as Lang and a Lynch free saw them four in front on 43 min­utes. From here, Sham­rock Gaels bounced back, hit­ting four unan­swered scores. Two Boyd frees in the 50th and 52nd minute was added to by a fine score from play from full- back Gavin McMor­row as Lauri Quinn’s men were only a point adrift. Then a quick move in­volv­ing mid­fielder Eoin Car­roll fed Boyd who fired into the St Mary’s net on 54 min­utes. It seemed as though Sham­rock Gaels were go­ing to hold out for a win, but St Mary’s came back in in­jury time, Kiely point­ing from play and Lynch caught the re­sult­ing kick- out and scored to level the game.

SHAM­ROCK GAELS: R Johnston, D Jinks, G McMor­row ( 0- 1), D Mur­phy, A Kelly, L Tuohy, R Johnston, E Car­roll, C McDer­mott, L Flynn, J Kenny, M Kearns, S Wil­lis ( 0- 1, 1f), E McDer­mott, K McKenna.

Subs used: B Boyd ( 1- 3, 2f) for E McDer­mott ( 20), B Tuohy for C McDer­mott ( 42), M Kee­gan for Flynn ( 53).

ST MARY’S: A Sheerin, C McKeon ( C), P Mur­phy, C Ma­hon, G O’He­hir, J Lynch ( 0- 2, 1f), B O’Don­nell, D Cor­co­ran, S Burns, N McDer­mott ( 0- 1), D Lang ( 0- 2, 1f), A McGoldrick ( 0- 1), H Mousa ( 0- 1), D O’Con­nor, C Wat­ters.

Subs used: N Fee­hily for O’Don­nell ( 29), M Kil­coyne for McGoldrick ( 47), D Kiely ( 0- 1) for Mousa ( 51), N Smyth for Wat­ters inj ( 59).

Pic: Ea­monn McMunn

Sham­rock Gaels Daniel Mur­phy in pos­ses­sion is closely marked by St Mary’s Sea­mus Burns and Colm Wat­ters in Markievicz Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.