St Far­nan’s bow out to Curry

The Sligo Champion - - SPORT - BY FRANCES HAN­LEY

ST FAR­NAN’S CURRY 0-10 2-13

Kennedy’s In­ter­me­di­ate Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship Quar­ter Fi­nal

ST Far­nan’s, last year’s in­ter­me­di­ate cham­pi­onship run­ners up made their exit from this year’s cham­pi­onship fol­low­ing de­feat to Curry in the quar­ter fi­nal on Satur­day last.

This game was played in damp muggy weather which made con­di­tions un­der­foot very slip­pery. Curry got a great start when Red Óg Mur­phy got two points from frees. Pa­trick O’Con­nor got one back for St Far­nan’s from a free . In the thir­teenth minute how­ever Curry were dealt a blow when team cap­tain, John Feeney re­ceived a straight red card for a foul on Pa­trick O’Con­nor which left his side with four­teen men. Adrian Mar­ren got a third point for Curry be­fore St Far­nan’s hit a pur­ple patch in the game adding five points with­out re­ply, three from Martin Mul­li­gan fol­lowed by one each from Mark De­vaney and Fin­nian Caw­ley. Curry in­tro­duced sub­sti­tute Sean Davey for Sean Col­leary which had an im­me­di­ate im­pact as Curry got a brace of points. Pa­trick O’Con­nor got the fi­nal point of the first half from a free to leave the half time score, St Far­nan’s 0-7, Curry 0-5. Good work was done by both goal­keep­ers in the first half to deny both sides a goal.

Af­ter the break it was Curry who dom­i­nated play as St Far­nan’s couldn’t take ad­van­tage of the ex­tra man. Tommy Henry found the net with a well taken goal af­ter good move­ment through­out the field. Adrian Mar­ren and Red Óg Mur­phy posed a lot of prob­lems for the St Far­nan’s de­fence de­spite their best ef­forts. St Far­nan’s couldn’t get on the scor­ing board from play as they had a num­ber of move­ments turned over. Af­ter 23 min­utes Curry led 1-12 to 0-9. Curry’s scores again came from Adrian Mar­ren and Red Óg Mur­phy. St Far­nan’s points came from frees taken by Ciaran and Pa­trick O’Con­nor. Mark De­vaney was given a black card with six min­utes left of nor­mal time and re­placed by Stephen Mul­li­gan. St Far­nan’s made ev­ery ef­fort to get that elu­sive goal in the last few min­utes of the game but couldn’t make the break­through. It was Red Óg Mur­phy who fin­ished to the net in what was to be the last piece of action to leave a gap of nine points be­tween the sides and see his team ad­vance to the semi fi­nal.

Curry were de­serv­ing of their vic­tory as they were more clin­i­cal with their ef­forts. St Far­nan’s will be dis­ap­pointed with their sec­ond half dis­play in par­tic­u­lar, as they failed to use the ex­tra man to their ad­van­tage. With nine un­der 21 play­ers in their start­ing line up, how­ever, the team will be hop­ing to build on this ex­pe­ri­ence for the fu­ture.

St. Far­nan’s: Keith Lang, Conor Gor­don, Trevor Kil­gan­non, Ea­monn Kil­gan­non, James Weir, Matthew Lang (Capt), Kevin Mc Gee, Pa­trick O’Con­nor (0-4(3f), Martin Mul­li­gan (0-3), Gavin Con­nolly, Fin­nian Caw­ley (0-1), Mark De­vaney (0-1), Ciaran O’Con­nor (0-1f), Ryan Mc Coombe, Iarla O’Con­nor. Subs used in sec­ond half: John Quinn for Trevor Kil­gan­non, Stephen Mul­li­gan for Mark De­vaney, Cor­mac Hal­li­nan for Conor Gor­don, Stephen Feeney for Martin Mul­li­gan.

Curry: James Mc Don­agh, Aaron Kearns, Tommy Sten­son, Craig Gal­lagher, Kevin Reilly, John Feeney (Capt), Gary Walsh, Jonathan Durkin, Sean Col­leary, Michael Gor­don, Adrian Mar­ren (0-6(1f), Oisin Hig­gins, Red Óg Mur­phy (1-5(5f), David Mc Don­agh, Tommy Henry (1-1). Subs used: Sean Davey (0-1), Enda Walsh, Kenny Mor­ley, Alan Reilly. REF­EREE: John Grif­fin.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.