Huge blaze broke out on Sun­day night

Wicklow People (Arklow) - - FRONT PAGE - By ES­THER HAY­DEN

FIRE fighters bat­tled a blaze at Leon Re­cy­cling Plant through­out the early hours of Sun­day morn­ing.

The fire, which broke out at the metal re­cy­cling and car dis­man­tling yard at Croghan In­dus­trial Es­tate ,saw build­ings, ma­chin­ery and equip­ment de­stroyed in the blaze.

Owner Lau­rence O’Neill said the fire was sparked when a bat­tery in one of the end of life cars at the plant caught fire and it quickly spread. How­ever, he had ful­some praise for the fire ser­vice for their swift ar­rival, say­ing that they had saved the ma­jor­ity of his busi­ness.

De­spite the fire, it is busi­ness at usual at Leon Re­cy­cling and Lau­rence said they were open on Mon­day morn­ing.

BUILD­INGS, ma­chin­ery and equip­ment were de­stroyed in the early hours of Sun­day morn­ing when a fire broke out at Leon Re­cy­cling at Croghan In­dus­trial Es­tate in Ark­low.

The blaze which took hold when a bat­tery in one of the end of life cars stored at the break­ers yard caught fire.

Owner Lau­rence O’Neill said the fire broke out about 2.30 a.m. on Sun­day morn­ing. He was alerted to the fire by se­cu­rity firm Sov­er­eign Se­cu­rity, who also con­tacted the fire ser­vice.

Fire crews from both Ark­low and Wick­low quickly rushed to the scene and Lau­rence praised both their re­sponse time and ac­tions at the scene.

‘The fire ser­vice was fan­tas­tic. They were there at the yard

in record time and acted so quickly. Only for them we would have lost so much more. They saved the of­fices, trucks, other equip­ments and build­ings. They saved the ma­jor­ity of the place re­ally.’

Lau­rence said that three work­shops at the ve­hi­cle re­cy­cling plant were ex­ten­sively dam­aged along with their con­tents which in­cluded cars,

equip­ment and garage ma­chin­ery.

‘When we looked back at the CCTV it seems that a car bat­tery went on fire and then it spread like wild­fire. We had been wor­ried that some­one had bro­ken in and set the fire ma­li­ciously but thank­fully this wasn’t the case. At the end of the day the main thing is that no­body was hurt.’

The fire crews re­mained at the scene un­til 7.30 a.m. on Sun­day morn­ing and re­turned dur­ing the day to en­sure there was no risk of the fire restart­ing.

De­spite the fire it is busi­ness at usual at Leon Re­cy­cling and Lau­rence said the com­pany was open for busi­ness as usual on Mon­day morn­ing and work is con­tin­u­ing in other sec­tions of the yard.

The blaze in progress, above, and its af­ter­math, be­low.

Some of the ma­chin­ery and build­ings dam­aged by the fire.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.