Le­in­ster joy for Ti­na­hely!

Stel­lar sec­ond half show­ing en­sures dou­ble de­light

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - At Ti­na­hely

TI­NA­HELY pro­duced a stel­lar sec­ond half per­for­mance to edge West­meath op­po­nents Bal­ly­co­moyle and ad­vance to the quar­ter-fi­nals of the Le­in­ster ladies foot­ball Ju­nior cham­pi­onship with a thrilling one-point vic­tory in Ti­na­hely on Satur­day af­ter­noon.

Things didn’t look promis­ing for the Wick­low women when the vis­i­tor’s star player Ruth Daniels bagged the sec­ond of her two goals on the stroke of half time to put the West­meath team ahead by six at the break.

But driven on by a huge per­for­mance from full-back Áine O’Keefe Ti­na­hely clawed their way back into the game in the sec­ond half, con­ced­ing just one point in that pe­riod and bag­ging a cru­cial goal of their own through an Emily O’Reilly long range ef­fort.

The game started omi­nously for the Wick­low women though as Daniels showed signs of what was to come in the first half.

She re­ceived a long ball on the 45 be­fore sharply turn­ing her marker and ghosted in to­wards goal, un­leash­ing an un­stop­pable shot in off the un­der­side of the cross­bar to give Bal­ly­co­moyle the per­fect start.

Ti­na­hely looked threat­en­ing go­ing for­ward them­selves with Tríona Byrne and Eimear O’Brien pierc­ing through the West­meath cover with surg­ing runs. O’Brien was on hand to set­tle Ti­na­hely into the game as she pointed a free from the edge of the D.

Ti­na­hely set­tled into the game and worked some good plays but at times were their own worst en­emy as a cou­ple of over hit passes saw moves break down in promis­ing po­si­tions.

A first goal was ag­o­nis­ingly close when the West­meath keeper fum­bled Emma Ka­tus’ shot be­fore re­deem­ing her­self and sav­ing the re­bound. A pair of Emily O’Reilly points in as many min­utes brought Ti­na­hely within a cou­ple but at the other end Daniels and Mary Quinn kept Bal­ly­co­moyle tick­ing over.

Ti­na­hely made a few po­si­tional switches at the back which seemed to pay div­i­dends with Shan­nagh Gogte­len now mar­shalling Daniels and Áine O’Ke­effe lord­ing play at full back, along with a cou­ple of great turnovers by Sarah Tyrell, and they now looked like a solid unit.

But on the stroke of half time a mo­men­tary lapse al­lowed Daniels ex­change a quick one two from a close in free be­fore bury­ing the leather in the top cor­ner.

Ti­na­hely had clawed their way into the game well but the goal brought the deficit to six points and it looked likely it might be a de­ci­sive blow just on half time.

But huge credit must go to the Ti­na­hely ladies who, for the sec­ond week in a row, showed mas­sive re­solve and upped their in­ten­sity and per­for­mance hugely in the sec­ond half.

The two Eimear’s, O’Brien and McCrea, cut the deficit to four five min­utes upon the restart and all over the pitch Ti­na­hely be­gan get­ting on top. Shan­nagh Goete­len and Kate Hatton com­bined well a cou­ple of times to dis­pos­sess Ruth Daniels and this qui­eten­ing of Bal­ly­co­moyle’s main threat re­ally spurred Ti­na­hely on.

From one such turnover the ball was worked to Ka­tus who dashed through the cen­tre and pointed from 25 yards to leave just three points be­tween the sides once more.

The away side still looked dan­ger­ous at the other end as Sab­rina Der­mody missed a goal chance, although she was un­der se­vere pres­sure from Rebecca Kelly.

But in the 48th minute the Bal­ly­co­moyle net was rat­tled. Ti­na­hely worked the ball well from the back and found Emily O’Reilly in space on the right side of the 21, 15 yards in from the touch­line.

The full-for­ward arced a high ball into the square which de­ceived Alma Hay­den and nes­tled in the top left cor­ner to bring the sides level with just over 10 min­utes to play.

Eimear O’Brien edged Ti­na­hely in front with a free from dis­tance and although Shannon Far­relly soon lev­elled mat­ters once more Ti­na­hely were not to be de­nied as Emma Ka­tus sent over what was to be the win­ning point.

Ti­na­hely played out most of the fi­nal ten min­utes with 14 play­ers as Ni­amh Dil­lon was sin binned but a com­bi­na­tion of heroic de­fend­ing and a cou­ple of bone crunch­ing tack­les kept the West­meath side at bay.

Áine O’Keefe once more made a vi­tal in­ter­cep­tion as Daniel’s ran through with Alanna Davison and Dervla Byrne also mak­ing cru­cial tack­les.

In the end Ti­na­hely held on as their jour­ney con­tin­ues and they now look for­ward to a quar­ter-fi­nal meet­ing in a cou­ple of weeks’ time.

Scor­ers - Ti­na­hely: Emily O’Reilly 1-2, Eimear O’Brien 0-4 (0-3f), Emma Ka­tus 0-2, Eimear McCrea 0-1.

Bal­ly­co­moyle: Ruth Daniels 2-3, Mary Quinn 0-1, Rebecca Ayres 0-1.

Ti­na­hely: Aoife O’Neill, Rebecca Kelly, Áine O’Keefe, Sarah Tyrell, Shan­nagh Gogte­len, Kate Hatton, Síofra Byrne, Dervla Byrne, Tríona Byrne, Eimear O’Brien, Emma Ka­tus, Abby Doyle, Maude Green, Emily O’Reilly, Eimear McCrea. Subs: Ni­amh Dil­lon for Maude Greene, Alanna Davison for Sarah Tyrell, Emma Doyle for Emily O’Reilly.

Bal­ly­co­moyle: Alma Hay­den, Ni­amh Smyth, Aoife Flynn, Ni­amh McCarthy, Rebecca Craig, Aoife Gal­lagher, Ally Mur­phy, Shannon Far­relly, Laura Kil­coyne, Rebecca Ayres, Ruth Daniels, Sarah Fagan, Sab­rina Der­mody, Mary Quinn, Ce­leste Der­mody. Subs: Shauna Cough­lan for Ce­le­sie Der­mody, Libby Han­non for Rebecca Craig, Shau­nagh Ma­her for Sarah Der­mody, Rebecca Craig for Shannon Far­relly.

Ref­eree: Mau­rice Mul­cachy (Dublin).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.