Carnew have the fire­power

O’Sul­li­van with two beauts

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT -

CARNEW AFC 3 ASH­FORD ROVERS 0 ASH­FORD ROVERS made the long trip to Carnew for the early kick-off last Sun­day morn­ing. The two teams had got off to a great start in the league with Carnew lead­ing but would have to find a way past a good Ash­ford out­fit if they in­tended on con­tin­u­ing their fine form.

It was a very even first five min­utes with both teams look­ing to go for­ward and get an early goal to kick start the game. Carnew striker Mike Sul­li­van al­most got the first goal of the game on the sixth minute when he was played through a lovely ball by Ben Gil­li­gan that cut open the Ash­ford de­fence, but the striker sliced his shot wide.

Carnew did find the back of the net five min­utes later with an out­stand­ing strike from Richard Greene. Greene won pos­ses­sion back in the cen­tre of mid­field be­fore run­ning at the Ash­ford de­fence be­fore hit­ting a long range ef­fort from out­side the box that dipped in the air and flew into the Ash­ford net. A great strike from the mid­fielder to give his side the lead on the 10-minute mark.

Rovers striker Luke Fitz­patrick thought he grabbed one back on 14th minute when he went un­chal­lenged in the penalty area and fired a low shot that looked to be go­ing into the left corner of the net, but Carnew de­fender Shane Byrne man­aged to get back and clear his lines.

Carnew grabbed an­other goal on the half hour mark after a great solo run from Mike Sul­li­van. The striker had pulled out wide on the left wing to re­ceive the ball from Daniel Red­mond, Sul­li­van con­trolled the ball and made a dart­ing run down his left wing, he then cut in­side and beat three Ash­ford de­fend­ers be­fore fir­ing home the sec­ond goal of the game. A great run and fin­ish from the striker.

The home side didn’t let up and were back on the scor­ing act just be­fore half time with Charlie Sul­li­van nab­bing the third of the game on the 33rd minute, giv­ing a lot to do in the sec­ond half for Rovers as they trailed 3-0 go­ing in at half-time.

Rovers started the sec­ond half a lot bet­ter than the first and were look­ing to play the ball for­ward to try get strik­ers Dy­lan Doyle and Ben Meade more into the game. Ash­ford were awarded a penalty on the 45th minute when Ben Kelly was tripped in the box, Jake Cullen bravely stepped up to take but put a lit­tle too much power be­hind the strike and put the ball over the bar.

De­spite be­ing three goals be­hind, Ash­ford keeper Fionn Doyle was pulling off some great saves to keep the score at 3-0. Carnew thought they had grabbed a fourth on the 56th minute when Richard Greene got a shot off from the edge of the box, Doyle dived across his line to tip the ball off the post and then back off the post and into his arms, a great save by the young keeper.

Ash­ford will be dis­ap­pointed to lose by three goals when they had the ma­jor­ity of the pos­ses­sion through­out the game, but un­for­tu­nately for the away side they didn’t take their chances whilst the hosts were clin­i­cal and scored three goals from four shots in the first half. Carnew con­tinue their un­beaten run in the U-14 group C.

Carnew AFC: 1. Roland Ch­le­chowitz, 2. Glenn Mythen, 3. Daniel Wright, 4. Mau­rice Shiels, 5. Shane Byrne, 6. Will Mullen, 7. Daniel Red­mond, 8. Richard Green, 9. Ben Gil­li­gan, 10. Mike Sul­li­van, 11. Charlie Sul­li­van, 12. Conor Neville, 13. Christo­pher Nolan.

Ash­ford Rovers: 1. Fionn Doyle, 2.Luke Mo­ran , 3. Karl Dru­mond, 4.Evan Byrne, 5. Evan Glynn, 6. Jake Cullen, 7. Cor­mac Mc Grath, 8. Josh Ni­cho­lis, 9. Luke Fitz­patrick 10. Dy­lan Doyle, 11. Ben Meade, 12. Ben Kelly, 13. Aaron Doyle, 14. Liam Cun­ning­ham, 15. Cian Gar­land, 16. Aaron Corry. Ref­eree: Paul Cana­van.

The Carnew un­der-14 team who de­feated Ash­ford Rovers at the Back Al­ley last week­end.

Ash­ford Rovers, who lost out to Carnew AFC last week­end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.