Round-up of all the ac­tion from the lo­cal soc­cer league

Byrne and Eyre both net hat-tricks in re­sound­ing win

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - at Fas­saroe Com­mu­nity Cen­tre


AN ab­so­lute clinic from Ash­ford Rovers’ front pair­ing of Danny Byrne and Rob­bie Eyre blew St. Peter’s Bhoys out of the wa­ter in Fas­saroe on Fri­day evening.

Byrne and Eyre had wrapped up a hat­trick apiece by the time they were called ashore in the 60th minute hav­ing al­ready done more than enough dam­age to the weary Bray side. It was an on­i­mous start to the tie when Eyre fired his side ahead af­ter three min­utes but Byrne was a man on a mis­sion mid­way through the first half as goals on 22, 29 and 31 had him dream­ing of an­other match­ball.

But per­haps it has now been shared as ex-Round­wood ace Eyre struck twice more in the sec­ond pe­riod on a dream night’s work for the Ballinela Park out­fit.

The most wor­ry­ing as­pect of Ash­ford’s opener, ar­riv­ing af­ter just three min­utes, was that it was over­due - such was the vis­i­tors’ rav­en­ous start to pro­ceed­ings.

Byrne de­serves plenty of credit for a sub­lime flick that found the gali­vant­ing Anto Byrne. The right-back bun­dled his way past his man and with men que­ing up in the mid­dle, he found Eyre who made no mis­take.

There could have been an al­most in­stant lev­eller when Chad Ryan met Daniel Mc­Cann’s cor­ner but his down­ward ef­fort came back off the cross­bar.

Rovers’ Fi­achra Ryan beat Ethon Crin­ion to Bren­dan Man­ning’s cor­ner but saw his header loop onto the roof of the net.

Shane Dunne went on the ram­page in the 17th minute as he burst for­ward and tossed Nathan Cana­van out of his way but his pow­er­ful drive was straight down Crin­ion’s throat. On 22 min­utes, Danny Byrne was felled and his ex-team mate Jamie Kelly protested to David Jame­son that there was no foul.

His mood was fur­ther soured when Shane Dunne’s vi­cious de­liv­ery was some­how lamped into the top cor­ner by an out­ra­geous header from Danny Byrne.

Six min­utes later, an­other free proved to be Peter’s down­fall again. Kil­lian O’Car­roll was booked this time and Rob­bie Eyre’s 25-yard thun­der­bolt left the cross­bar rat­tling. When the ball fell, Byrne was wait­ing all alone to nod it in.

Within two min­utes, Byrne se­cured his tre­ble. Eyre was caught late af­ter shoot­ing in the penalty area and Byrne em­ployed a lenghtly and de­cep­tive run-up be­fore clip­ping it down the mid­dle to make it 0-4.

The hosts re­stored some pride be­fore half time when Dar­ren McA­teer pow­ered home from a cor­ner but the tie was com­pletely killed off 40 sec­onds into the sec­ond pe­riod when Byrne pounced on sloppy play from the home de­fence be­fore putting it on a plate for his striker part­ner who dis­patched his sec­ond. Byrne should have grabbed a fourth when a short back­pass sent him clean through but Crin­ion blocked his ef­fort be­fore su­perbly tip­ping over Eyre’s fol­low-up.

Eyre would have his crown­ing mo­ment on the hour mark though as an inch-per­fect cross from the right flank found him at the far post and he ex­pertly side-footed it back across goal and into the cor­ner.

It would be he and Byrne’s last ac­tion as they were sac­ri­ficed to give Chris Sillery and Cian O’Han­nain some game time.

It also meant the cap­tian’s arm­band was handed to Shane Dunne but he was side­lined on 62 min­utes, mean­ing his reign as cap­tain lasted only 100 sec­onds.

De­spite be­ing five goals be­hind, the Saints didn’t shy away and Chad Ryan pulled a classy goal back in the 65th minute when he col­lected the ball on the edge of the area and skipped past his man be­fore drilling to the bot­tom cor­ner.

O’Han­nain, one of the Rovers re­place­ments, seemed in­tent on mak­ing the most of his op­por­tu­in­ity. He took ad­van­tage of shaky de­fend­ing to make it 7-2 in the 67th minute and 10 min­utes later he got be­yond the last man, rode a lung­ing tackle and kept his cool to slot past Crin­ion.

Ash­ford Rovers, who stormed to vic­tory over St Peter’s Bhoys on Fri­day evening.

St Peter’s Bhoys, who lost out to Ash­ford Rovers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.