Town turn the tide

Wicklow fight back from 3-1 down to beat St Pa­trick’s

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - At Fin­lay Park


WICKLOW Town hosted St Pat’s on Sun­day morn­ing in what turned out to be an in­cred­i­bly com­pet­i­tive league fix­ture be­tween the two sides in Di­vi­sion 1B.

With Wicklow Town hav­ing played just four games this sea­son they sat com­fort­ably in seventh place with three games in hand over their league ri­vals St Pat’s, who were fly­ing this sea­son and sit­ting in third place.

Both teams started the game very com­pet­i­tively with some tough chal­lenges straight from kick-off.

Wicklow Town looked the most likely to score first, on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions striker Paddy Mur­phy found him­self in some great po­si­tions but his team mates failed to pick him out.

Town were lack­ing that last killer pass to make their op­po­si­tions pay for some sloppy de­fend­ing around their penalty area.

St Pat’s scored the first goal of the game to­tally against the run of play in the 12th minute.

The away side had hardly threat­ened their op­po­nent’s goal from the start of the game but were clin­i­cal in front of goal when they got their chance.

Mid­fielder Paddy Kennedy picked out Adam Browne who had made a run towards the cen­tre of the penalty area, Browne stretched and con­nected per­fectly first time with the ball to place it past Wicklow Town keeper Ian Mur­phy.

The home side re­acted in the best way pos­si­ble and grabbed an equaliser in the 14th minute, just a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter go­ing a goal down.

A quick throw be­tween Jack Cearthy and Jack Kelly re­sulted in Kelly hav­ing time and space to whip a cross to the back post where Paddy Mur­phy went un­chal­lenged to nod the ball into the cor­ner of the net.

Both teams had nu­mer­ous op­por­tu­ni­ties to go ahead mid­way through the first half, but nei­ther team man­aged to find the back of the net.

Wicklow Town’s best op­por­tu­nity fell to Jack Cearthy in the 31st minute when he re­ceived a great ball that was squared across the box from Jack Kelly, but Cearthy didn’t con­nect prop­erly with the ball, which meant an easy save for keeper Ja­son Porter.

Whilst Pat’s were knock­ing on the door through­out the sec­ond half, they just didn’t man­age to cap­i­talise. Adam Browne went close on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions but just couldn’t find the back of the net.

Just on the stroke of half-time ref­eree Carl Doyle pointed to the penalty spot af­ter Wicklow Town de­fender John Con­nors took down Andy Doyle in the area.

Paddy Kennedy slot­ted the ball into the right cor­ner of the net to give his side the lead oi the 43rd minute.

Wicklow Town had ma­jor­ity of the pos­ses­sion in the open­ing ten min­utes of the sec­ond-half but still just couldn’t find that fi­nal ball to give them a chance in on goal.

Paddy Mur­phy had a great chance on the 49th minute when he only had one de­fender to beat be­fore go­ing one on one with the Pat’s keeper, Mur­phy had Eddie Cearthy to his right side but failed to pass in time and Cearthy lost pos­ses­sion just be­fore he had a chance to shoot.

Pat’s added an­other goal to the score sheet in the 70th minute af­ter some great com­bi­na­tion play be­tween Adam Browne and Paddy Kennedy.

Browne gained pos­ses­sion on the edge of the box and pulled the ball back to Kennedy who shot first time to make it 3-1.

Great play be­tween the striker and mid­fielder to give their side a two-goal lead.

Wicklow had no choice but to put more men for­ward to try and get some­thing out of the game. Jack Kelly grabbed a goal back to make it 3-2 in the 78th minute when he was first to re­act to an un-cleared cor­ner and volleyed the ball home to give his side some hope go­ing into the last ten min­utes of the game.

Wicklow Town mid­fielder Richard Mur­phy headed his side an equal­is­ing goal on the 85th minute. De­fender Reece Kelly floated a free kick to the cen­tre of the penalty area where Mur­phy rose above ev­ery­one else to nod the ball into the net. The score line was 3-3 go­ing into the last five min­utes of the game.

Pat’s were dealt a huge blow mo­ments af­ter the goal when Paul Mc Gann had to leave the field af­ter he got in­jured go­ing into a 50/50 chal­lenge with Jack Kelly, as Pat’s didn’t travel with more than 11 play­ers they had no avail­able subs which meant they had to con­tinue the last five min­utes with only 10 play­ers.

Ref­eree Carl Doyle had no op­tion but to show de­fender Bradley Mo­ran a red card af­ter the de­fender used his hand to stop the ball go­ing into the net af­ter a Wicklow Town cor­ner.

Mo­ran was sent off and Pat’s then were left with only nine play­ers on the field.

Richard Mur­phy stepped up and took the penalty slot­ting the ball to the keeper’s right and into the cor­ner of the net.

A great come­back from the home side to win 4-3 af­ter be­ing 3-1 down up un­til the 70th minute.

Town showed great spirit and de­ter­mi­na­tion to get back into the game although Pat’s not hav­ing any avail­able subs to re­place an in­jured player proved to be very costly for the away side in the end.

St Pa­trick’s who lost out in a seven-goal thriller.

Wicklow Town, who picked up the three points against St Pa­trick’s.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.