AGB and Tinahely must meet again after thriller

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - BREN­DAN LAWRENCE at Joule Park, Aughrim


THE re­play of this Ark­low Bay Ho­tel Divi­sion 1A clash be­tween AGB and Tinahely would be well worth go­ing to see given the drama and sub­plots that will be car­ried for­ward from this en­ter­tain­ing if low on qual­ity game in Joule Park Aughrim last week.

It was a game that pro­vided plenty of drama and some fine scores, but it was also a game that pro­duced, from an AGB per­spec­tive, six shots dropped short to Niall Byrne (Tinahely had one) and a to­tal of 16 wides, 11 of those be­long­ing to Damien Red­mond’s men. Add to this the fact that AGB were with­out up to nine po­ten­tial starters, in­clud­ing Dar­ragh Fitzger­ald, and it might be fair to say that the Ark­low side left Joule Park Aughrim feel­ing a lit­tle bet­ter about them­selves.

How­ever, Tinahely had plenty of pos­i­tives to take from the game as well. They held AGB score­less for 20 min­utes and had amassed 1-4 them­selves by that stage, the goal from Rory Stokes who lashed home from close range after good work from Ja­son Cush.

They had a sec­ond ma­jor be­fore the break, this one from Cush him­self, and were look­ing com­fort­able at 2-4 to 0-4 at the break de­spite AGB’s will­ing­ness and abil­ity to break for­ward at pace.

The con­fi­dence that comes from hav­ing en­joyed an un­beaten run was ev­i­dent for all to see as Tinahely romped into an early lead in this game. Rory Stokes, Tony Darcy (two, one free) and Noel Mul­hall were all on the board with points by the 14th minute, but while that might sound like there was only one team play­ing the op­po­site was the case. AGB were creating chances and caus­ing Tinahely plenty of dif­fi­cul­ties, they just couldn’t get the ball over the bar.

The game was quite messy in terms of pos­ses­sion with 42 turnovers tak­ing place, 22 for AGB, 20 for Tinahely and both man­agers will be look­ing for more se­cu­rity in this re­gard the next day out.

AGB’s Chris O’Brien, who had a fine game from mid­field, stopped the rot and got them off the mark in the 20th minute, five min­utes after Stokes had al­most ripped the AGB net with the game’s open­ing goal.

Shane McBride grabbed two points be­fore the break and Cathal Kelle­her added an­other be­fore Ja­son Cush fired home for Tinahely’s sec­ond goal to leave it 2-4 to 0-4 at the break.

The open­ing 18 min­utes of the sec­ond half were finely bal­anced, with Tony Darcy prof­it­ing from a stun­ning ball from Alan Dil­lon to point, Shane McBride re­ply­ing at the other end, Stephen Hur­ley cut­ting the Tinahely lead, Darcy re­ply­ing from a free and Chris O’Brien pop­ping over his sec­ond of the day which, aside from a few wides and the likes, brought us up nicely to the 45th minute of the game. From this point things got very in­ter­est­ing.

Tinahely’s Alan Dil­lon made a burst for­ward and was bear­ing down on the AGB goal com­ing in from the dress­ing rooms at the vil­lage end of the pitch.

He got his pass away but col­lided with AGB’s Danny O’Harte in the process. Play con­tin­ued for a short pe­riod be­fore the ball came to Stephen Hur­ley who, with Alan Dil­lon still ly­ing on the ground in some distress be­hind him, pro­ceeded to boot the ball out over the side­line on the bank side around the AGB 45-yard line so that at­ten­tion could come on for Dil­lon.

The Tinahely at­tacked re­ceived his treat­ment and was able to con­tinue and the game re­sumed with the Tinahely side­line ball.

Now, un­like soc­cer, there is no rule, un­writ­ten or oth­er­wise, that sug­gests or di­rects the op­pos­ing team to re­turn the sport­ing ges­ture made by Stephen Hur­ley by re­turn­ing pos­ses­sion to them so that the game can con­tinue.

Tinahely, through Rory Stokes, re­sume play from the side­line ball. Stokes went short to Tony Darcy who re­turned to Stokes who swung over an ab­so­lute beauty of a point.

Need­less to say, this did not go down well with the AGB team or man­age­ment, and, in­ter­est­ingly, Tinahely did not score again in this game, as AGB took com­plete con­trol with points from Dar­ragh Cul­leton, Stephen Hur­ley, Shane McBride and Chris O’Brien to make it 0-13 to 2-7 and with­out a shadow of a doubt if there had been 60 more sec­ond to play an AGB vic­tory looked cer­tain as mo­men­tum was com­pletely with Damien Red­mond’s men at this stage.

How­ever, time was not their ally, and ref­eree Noel Kin­sella sounded the three shrill blasts to sig­nal time up with the ma­jor­ity in the crowd ex­pect­ing ex­tra-time to fol­low.

But there was to be an­other twist in the tale.

On the of­fi­cial no­ti­fi­ca­tion of the game there was no men­tion of the prospect of ex­tra-time and there­fore both teams or one team were per­fectly within their rights not to play ex­tra-time and AGB, with­out a raft of po­ten­tial starters, opted to not play the ex­tra-time and await a re­play, ex­pected to be fixed for two weeks’ time.

A heated dis­cus­sion took place in the mid­dle of the field be­tween both sets of man­age­ment and

mem­bers of the Wick­low CCC where it is be­lieved that the in­ci­dent in­volv­ing Stephen Hur­ley kick­ing the ball out to al­low at­ten­tion to come in for Alan Dil­lon was men­tioned among other is­sues.

Ex­pect drama aplenty when th­ese two sides meet again. It will be a clash not to be missed. Scor­ers – Tinahely: Rory Stokes 1-2, Tony Darcy 0-4 (1f), Ja­son Cush 1-0, Noel Mul­hall 0-1.

AGB: Shane McBride 0-4, Chris O’Brien 0-3, Stephen Hur­ley 0-2, Cathal Kelle­her 0-1, JP Hur­ley, Karl Kir­wan 0-1, Dar­ragh Cul­leton 0-1.

Tinahely: Niall Byrne; Conor Hat­ton, Michael Byrne, James Gilbert; Kevin Mul­hall, Wil­lie Dil­lon, John Blake; Stephen Dil­lon, Noel Mul­hall; James Hed­der­man, Ja­son Cush, Alan Nolan; Tony Darcy, Rory Stokes, Alan Dil­lon. Subs: David Blake for J Blake (9min, inj), Wil­lie Qualie for J Hed­der­man (39min), Daniel Ging for T Darcy (50min), Brian Walsh for W Dil­lon.

AGB: Mervyn Travers; Karl Kir­wan, James Tyrrell, Tadgh O’Cal­laghan; Tom Ma­her, Danny O’Harte, An­drew Ma­her; JP Hur­ley, Chris O’Brien; Stephen Hur­ley, Dar­ragh Cul­leton, Cathal Kelle­her; Dara McBride, Shane McBride, Philip Healy. Subs: Sean Hur­ley for D McBride (50min), Ciarán Hy­land for D Cul­leton (56min), Mark Fitzger­ald for T Ma­her (57min).

Ref­eree: Noel Kin­sella (Kil­bride)

The Tinahely team who drew with AGB in the fi­nal of the Ark­low Bay Ho­tel Divi­sion 1A foot­ball league last week in Joule Park in Aughrim.

The AGB foot­ballers who fought back to earn a draw against Tinahely in the Ark­low Bay Ho­tel Divi­sion 1A foot­ball fi­nal.

Dis­cus­sions were had be­tween AGB, Tinahely and the CCC at the end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.