O’Neill sends Éire Óg to fi­nal

Late goal thwarts An Tochar

Wicklow People (West Edition) - - SPORT - LIAM O’LOUGHLIN at New­town

A goal punched home by mid­fielder Eoin O’Neill six min­utes from the end of nor­mal time proved to be the de­cid­ing score in this evenly con­tested Un­der-17 ‘A’ foot­ball semi-fi­nal played at New­town on Sun­day morn­ing last.

Con­di­tions were good with a slight breeze favour­ing the team play­ing up from the dress­ing room end. Both sides had a mix­ture of strong play­ers, who were up to the age and smaller, younger lads who have an­other year left. Éire Óg ap­peared to have a slight ad­van­tage here, but it must be said that there were no­tice­able per­form­ers from those in the younger bracket.

An Tochar started strongly and full-for­ward Ross Stephen­son was un­for­tu­nate to see his shot for a point came back off the post in an early at­tack.

Éire Óg took a few min­utes to set­tle but they grad­u­ally came into the game with Fionn O’Car­roll and Eoin O’Neill, backed up by half­backs Cil­lian Keane, Nick Browne and Cian Hynes push­ing for­ward and putting the An Tochar de­fence un­der pres­sure.

A lot of early ball was be­ing fed to Eoin O’Loin­sigh at full-for­ward for the seasiders and chances be­gan to come. Sean Ma­son opened their ac­count with a point off his left af­ter four min­utes and cen­tre for­ward Joe Pren­der­gast got their sec­ond on seven min­utes.

The An Tochar cen­tral di­a­mond of cen­tre back Cian McHugh, Ciaran Byrne, Jor­dan Brady and cen­tre for­ward Gavin Fogarty were bat­tling strongly to stem the flow and in their oc­ca­sional raid into at­tack Bobby Brady and Dar­ragh Fee, two of their younger play­ers, were caus­ing prob­lems for the Éire Óg de­fence.

Ross Stephen­son opened their scor­ing with a point af­ter 12 min­utes. Luke Dor­gan put Éire Óg 0-3 to 0-1 ahead with a point on the quar­ter hour, and the Grey­stones side had a dom­i­nant pe­riod for the next seven or eight min­utes, adding two fur­ther points from frees by Shaun Cran­ley.

In ad­di­tion, they be­gan to ac­cu­mu­late a few wides and had reached a to­tal of seven by the break. With the score stand­ing at 0-5 to 0-1, An Tochar pressed back for the last few min­utes of the half and were re­warded with three points from frees by the hard work­ing Jor­dan Brady.

Just be­fore the half-time whis­tle Shane Cran­ley added an Éire Óg point to leave his side 0-6 to 0-4 to the good at the break. The Round­wood lads were re­lieved enough at that as Éire Óg would not have been flat­tered with an­other three or four points, as their wide count was high.

An Tochar be­gan the sec­ond pe­riod in a strong, de­ter­mined fash­ion and took the game strongly to their op­po­nents.

Their for­wards Bobby Brady, Gavin Fogarty, John Nolan and full for­wards, where Ross Stephen­son and Oisin Cullen were com­ing out and then run­ning at the Éire Óg de­fence strongly, were draw­ing fouls and free taker Jor­dan Brady was de­liv­er­ing the re­sults.

Five con­verted frees in a row had put An Tochar into a 0-9 to 0-6 lead by 12 min­utes. Éire Óg be­gan to re­cover from this early sec­ond half on­slaught and two pointed frees from Shaun Cran­ley had them just one point adrift af­ter 17 min­utes.

At this stage An Tochar suf­fered a bad blow when they lost Eoin Mur­phy to a black card. As he was al­ready on a yel­low, he re­ceived a red and could not be re­placed.

How­ever, a point from play by Gavin Fogarty put An Tochar into a 0-10 to 0-8 lead with ten min­utes of nor­mal time left. With five min­utes to go came the cru­cial goal from Eoin O’Neill, when he came in on a fisted pass across goal to punch home. The score stood 1-9 to 0-10 for Éire Óg at this stage.

Jor­dan Brady re­duced the lead to a point with a score from free just as the game en­tered added time. In an ex­cit­ing and keenly con­tested six min­utes of added time both sides bat­tled gamely. Shaun Cran­ley pointed an Éire Óg free, Jor­dan Brady re­sponded with an An Tochar free but Cran­ley had the fi­nal say when he made the Grey­stones men safe with the fi­nal point of the game just be­fore the call of time.

This was an en­joy­able and sport­ingly con­tested game with both sides bat­tling for vic­tory in a very hon­est fash­ion.

Scor­ers - Éire Óg: Shaun Cran­ley 0-8, Eoin O’Neill 1-0, Sean Ma­son, Joe Pren­der­gast, Luke Dor­gan 0-1 each.

An Tochar: Jor­dan Brady 0-10, Ross Stephen­son, Gavin Fogarty 0-1 each.

Éire Óg: Sean O’Neill; Dave Pren­der­gast, Tadg Shana­han, Dave Healy; Cil­lian Keane, Neill Browne, Cian Hynes; Fionn O’Car­roll, Eoin O’Neill; Sean Ma­son, Joe Pren­der­gast, Luke Dor­gan; Gavin O’Shea, Eoin O’Lion­saigh, Shaun Cran­ley. Sub: Ron Byrne.

An Tochar: An­drew Nolan; Matt Nolan, Eoin Mur­phy, Kian Brady; Luke Kenny, Cian McHugh, Sam Ire­land; Ciaran Byrne, Jor­dan Brady; Bobby Brady, Gavin Fogarty, J.P. Nolan; Dar­ragh Fee, Ross Stephen­son, Oisin Cullen. Subs: Dy­lan Cum­mins, Niall Shea­han.

Ref­eree: Noel Kinsella (Kilbride)

An Tochar’s Sam Ire­land tries to keep tabs on Éire Óg’s Luke Dor­gan.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.