Wicklow People - - SPORT -

Once again we headed back to Aughrim yes­ter­day to play our first ever game in Leinster against Kil­cavin from Laois.

We hadn’t much time to re­cover from our cel­e­bra­tions last week­end but we did man­age to get two train­ing ses­sions in dur­ing the week be­fore we tack­led Leinster.

Throw in was at 2pm, the crowd were start­ing to build nicely with our colours in view all over the stand.

The game started on time and from the start we knew we were in for a bat­tle with tight mark­ing all over the pitch.

They hit us for the first score after two min­utes we hit back in the fourth minute with a Keith Lawlor point.

For the next 15 min­utes it was point for point with two more points from Keith Lawlor. They took the lead in the 19th minute to leave the scores 4-3.

Then in the 23rd minute they hit us for a goal with them mov­ing the ball from their back­line and fin­ish­ing to the back off the net.

They got an­other point in the 25th minute to put them five up clos­ing in on half time.

We got a free in the 27th minute and John Nolan put it over the black spot. At half-time we went in los­ing 1-05 to 0-04 some­thing sim­i­lar to last week.

After a good chat we knew we hadn’t done enough in the first half and wanted to prove a point in the sec­ond half.

We came out know­ing we were go­ing to have to bat­tle hard as a lot of things weren’t go­ing our way.

After 33 min­utes they got the first score of the half. Damien Han­lon replied straight away, then a John Nolan free brought it back to three with 22 min­utes left,but these boys weren’t ly­ing down and put five back in it with two nice points with 10 min­utes left.

Then we de­cided to play a bit of ball and con­trolled the game for the last 10 min­utes start­ing of with a John Nolan point.

Then the score of the game came after a quick free from Damien, he picked out Myles Con­way who passed to the on run­ning Keith Lawlor who played in Mark Mi­ley who was run­ning down in goal and there was only go­ing to be one out­come he fin­ished it like a bul­let to the back off the net.

With five min­utes left we equalised with a nice point from Keith Lawlor. Then in the 59th minute we took the lead for the first time after a quick free from John Nolan he passed to Myles who played it back to John and he fisted it over the bar to leave the score line 1-09 to 1-08.

Deep into in­jury time we had a chance or two to fin­ish the game off but we just couldn’t man­age to put the ball away. With over four min­utes played the ref­eree blew the whis­tle and that was it an­other great vic­tory for the boys.

We keep say­ing it but once again our sup­port­ers were un­real. We re­ally ap­pre­ci­ated our fol­low­ers it’s not easy to make your way ev­ery few weeks to Aughrim but ye do and hav­ing to fork out €10 a head each time. Thanks again but we will need you all again in two weeks time.

The Kil­cavin crowd were even talk­ing about our sup­port­ers they couldn’t be­lieve the num­bers we had the noise the colours they said ev­ery­thing was bril­liant and they wished us all the best in our quar­ter-fi­nal fi­nal in two weeks time.

We also want to thank the usual, Ja­cobs Well, Lyn­hams Ho­tel, and Glen­dalough Ho­tel for all their sup­port over the last few months it’s all much ap­pre­ci­ated and we’ll see you all again in two weeks time.

For any­one that couldn’t make the game there was live cov­er­age on Wick­low Peo­ple Sport this was also a first for

Our ju­ve­nile pre­sen­ta­tion will be tak­ing place when all our teams have fin­ished out their sea­son we have no date yet as the un­der-13s are still play­ing.

Well done to Pearse Gaels who beat Éire Óg in the semi-fi­nal of the un­der-17 ‘B’ cham­pi­onship last week in New­town.

The fi­nal is against Rath­new on Sun­day 15th, best of luck to all in the fi­nal es­pe­cially our own large con­tin­gent.

Don’t like to men­tion the Christ­mas word but it will soon be upon us so if you want to buy New­town GAA mer­chan­dise get your or­der in early as there are al­ways de­lays around the fes­tive time.

There is a good stock of club gear now avail­able to buy for any en­quiries re­gard­ing club gear please con­tact Amy at 086 3332195.

Num­bers drawn in last week’s lotto were 2, 5, 13, and 16.

No one scooped the jack­pot of €6800 but two peo­ple won €100 each after match­ing three num­bers.

Keep up to date on all that’s hap­pen­ing by fol­low­ing us on Facebook or Twit­ter @ New­town GAA.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.