Doyle guides Vil­lage home

Su­perb win for Rathnew

Wicklow People - - SPORT - BREN­DAN LAWRENCE


A tal­ented Rathnew side claimed vic­tory over Clara Gaels in the Un­der-17 ‘A’ Shield fi­nal in a windy Bal­li­nakill on Mon­day night last.

With a de­fence mar­shalled by cap­tain Nicky Kear­ney and Tris­tan O’Toole, a strong mid­field of Sean Cof­fey and Sam O’Dowd and an im­pres­sive at­tack fea­tur­ing Eoin Doyle who fin­ished with 1-9 to his credit and the Man of the Match award, the Vil­lage side kicked off what they will hope will be­come a very suc­cess­ful one with this de­served vic­tory de­spite a gal­lant ef­fort from Clara Gaels in the sec­ond half.

Rathnew started with the strong wind at their backs and had opened up a 1-10 to 0-4 lead at the break thanks the dom­i­nance of Sean Cof­fey at mid­field and plenty of ef­fort and grit from the im­pres­sive Fionn O’Sul­li­van and Ewan Cul­bert.

The con­di­tions didn’t help the Clara Gaels lads who were un­der pres­sure from the word go with balls ar­riv­ing in to the lethal duo of Eoin Doyle and Dy­lan Smyth who caused all sorts of prob­lems for the Clara Gales rear­guard.

Rathnew grabbed the best pos­si­ble start with a fine goal from Jen­son O’Con­nor who lined out at cen­tre half for­ward.

A rapid fire three points opened up a 1-4 to 0-0 lead, the white flags raised by Tris­tan O’Toole who watched as his long ball into the Clara Gaels square bounced over the bar, and Eoin Doyle’s open­ing two scores, both from frees.

There were 10 min­utes on John O’Brien’s watch when Clara Gaels opened their ac­count, this from the boot of Dale Fluskey from a free. They en­joyed their best spell in the open­ing half over the next few min­utes where they drew to within 1-4 to 0-3 be­hind Rathnew with points from An­drew Bran­cato and Luke Kear­ney, but the Vil­lage side pulled away with some fine foot­ball and points from Sam O’Dowd, Dy­lan Smyth (2), Eoin Doyle (3,2f) be­fore Fluskey swept over a free to make it 1-10 to 0-4 at the break with Clara Gaels hav­ing the wind at their backs in the sec­ond half and a moun­tain to climb ahead.

Rathnew started with a flour­ish and a point from Jen­son O’Con­nor af­ter good work from Sean Cof­fey and Eoin Doyle but Clara Gaels hit back through Fluskey only to be an­swered swiftly by a Smyth free-kick.

Things took a ma­jor turn for the good for Clara Gales when Shane Brown ri­fled home low and hard past Reece Doyle in the Rathnew goal af­ter 39 min­utes and a Sean Leonard point mo­ments later left just six be­tween the sides.

Brown would get on the end of a sweep­ing move to grab his side’s sec­ond ma­jor of the evening shortly af­ter a Jack Manley point for Rathnew and when Malachy Stone pointed off his left mo­ments later there were just three be­tween the sides and plenty of time left.

But your big men stand up in times of need and Eoin Doyle an­swered the Rathnew call in em­phatic fash­ion. He won and pointed a free and then fired over a stun­ning goal be­fore notch­ing an­other rip­per of a point from play to put some day­light be­tween the sides at 2-15 to 2-7 with less than five to go.

Credit to Clara Gaels, they stuck to their task and fired over 1-2 through Fluskey, Shane Brown and a late goal from Malachy Stone in re­ply to an Eoin Doyle free but time would run out for the Clara Gaels men and John O’Brien’s fi­nal whis­tle was met with de­light from the Rathnew play­ers and sup­port­ers.

Coiste na nÓg chair­man Pat Dunne pre­sented Rathnew cap­tain Nicky Kear­ney with the Un­der-17 ‘A’ Shield cup and Eoin Doyle was pre­sented with the Wick­low Peo­ple spon­sored Man of the Match award.

– Rathnew: Eoin Doyle 1-9 (6f), Jen­son O’Con­nor 1-1, Dy­lan Smyth 0-3 (1f), Tris­tan O’Toole 0-1, Sam O’Dowd 0-1, Jack Manley 0-1.

Clara Gaels: Shane Brown 2-1, Malachy Stone 1-1, Dale Fluskey 0-3 (2f), Luke Kear­ney 0-1, An­drew Bran­cato 0-1, Sean Leonard 0-1.

Reece Doyle; Kil­lian Clarke, Nicky Kear­ney, Char­lie Cruise; Fionn O’Sul­li­van, Tris­tan O’Toole, Ewan Cul­bert; Sean Cof­fey, Sam O’Dowd; Shane Cul­li­nan, Jen­son O’Con­nor, Toby Cur­ran; Cian Fur­long, Eoin Doyle, Dy­lan Smyth. Subs: Jack Manley, Cian O’Neill, TJ O’Neill.

Daniel Mor­ley; Kevin Kinsella, Liam Dick­en­son, Tom O’Shea; John Porter, Ke­lan Busher, Luke Kear­ney; An­drew Bran­cato, Ryan Kenny; Mark Cullen, Malachy Stone, Dale Fluskey; Cian Ward, Shane Brown, Joseph O’Shea. Subs: Sean Leonard.

John O’Brien (New­cas­tle)

Scor­ers Rathnew: Clara Gaels: Ref­eree:

DERRY GALES pro­duced a dev­as­tat­ing burst in the sec­ond half to de­rail a de­cent To­ma­cork out­fit in what was a very en­ter­tain­ing Un­der-17 ‘B’ Shield fi­nal in Shil­le­lagh last Sun­day morn­ing.

From a wor­ry­ing po­si­tion of be­ing 2-10 to 1-7 down with 15 min­utes of foot­ball left in the game, the Aughrim/An­nacurra com­bi­na­tion ram­paged back into con­tention thanks to four stun­ning goals that knocked To­ma­cork for six af­ter they had looked rea­son­ably com­fort­able at the end of the third quar­ter.

Key to the vic­tory for Derry Gales were the per­for­mances of Dar­ragh Owens and Dy­lan Lynch in the mid­dle of the field while Adam Kee­gan had a hand in nearly ev­ery­thing pos­i­tive over the course of the game. Dy­lan Walsh was pulled back to try and sti­fle the hugely im­pres­sive John Doyle at full-for­ward and he coped ad­mirably.

Things were look­ing very promis­ing for To­ma­cork early on when they opened up a 0-3 to 0-1 lead af­ter seven min­utes thanks to the ac­cu­racy and tal­ent of John Doyle at full-for­ward who dropped over three fine scores from frees with Adam Kee­gan land­ing Derry Gaels’ opener.

But Derry Gaels got a ma­jor boost three min­utes later when ref­eree Gerry Cor­bett sig­naled for a penalty for a foot block on Euan Harper. The To­ma­cork man­age­ment team were in­censed by the de­ci­sion but it stood, and Dy­lan Lynch fired home the spot kick to the roof of the To­ma­cork net to pro­pel his side into a 1-1 to 0-3 lead.

Derry Gaels took a big boost from that goal and be­gan to take the game to To­ma­cork and Adam Kee­gan might have had a goal him­self had his lob at­tempt dropped quicker than it did af­ter 14 min­utes, but he turned away know­ing that his ef­fort had added a point to the tally.

One thing Derry Gaels couldn’t re­ally man­age over the course of this game was to shackle John

The Derry Gaels side who de­feated To­ma­cork in Shil­le­lagh on Sun­day morn­ing.

Rathnew cap­tain Nicky Kear­ney is pre­sented with the cup by Coiste na nÓg chair­man Pat Dunne.

Tal­ented Eoin Doyle col­lects the Wick­low Peo­ple Man of the Match award.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.