The Milan metro and suburban rail network: how to get around the city
ATM - Azienda Trasporti Milanesi – Local Public Transport Company - Open daily 7.30am-7.30pm. www.atm.it. T: 02 48607607 (7.30am-7.30pm).
Lost and Found on ATM Vehicles: Mon-Fri 8.30am-4pm. Via Friuli, 30. T: 02 88453900. Ordinary ticket (1.50€) Valid for 90 minutes. Can be used on buses, trams or the metro (one trip only). Day ticket (4.50€) Valid 24h. Unlimited travel on buses, trams and the metro. Two-day ticket (8.25€) Valid 48h. Unlimited travel on buses, trams and the metro. Check rates for the extra-urban subway.
Tickets to Rho Fieramilano: 2.50€ (return ticket 5€)
Where to buy your ticket: from all authorized ticket sellers, ATM POINTs (Duomo M1-M3, Centrale M2-M3, Cadorna M1-M2, Garibaldi M2-M5, Loreto M1-M2, Romolo M2). and automatic ticket vendors. Night Service – Every night with a network of 15 routes run by buses replacing three metro routes M1, M2 and M3, as well as the most commonly-used lines. giromilano.atm.it
• EUROPEAN EMERGENCY NUMBER. 112 112 is the unique European Emergency Number created to provide all European citizens with a single number: Ambulance, Firefighters, Police. • OPEN PHARMACIES T: 800 801185 • PASSPORTS Questura di Milano, via Fatebenefratelli, 11. T: 02 62261
SINGLE BOOKING NUMBER T: 02 7777 (connecting the Taxi parking areas) AUTORADIOTAXI T: 02 8585 - www.028585.it RADIO TAXI T: 02 6969 - www.yellowtaxi.it ETAXY T: 02 5353 - www.etaxi.it TAXI BLU T: 02 4040 - taxiblu.it Taxi fixed fares: Malpensa Airport – Milan (any location): € 95 Malpensa Airport – Fiera Milano (Rho): € 65 Malpensa Airport – Linate Airport: € 105 Linate Airport – Fiera Milano (Rho): € 55
FERROVIE DELLO STATO - Trenitalia Railway Company - Info T: 892021. www.trenitalia.com Milan offers fast-track access to major cities across Italy thanks to its high-speed trains. • Turin: 55 min • Bologna: 1 hour • Florence: 1 hour 40 min • Venice: 2 hours 35 min • Rome: 2 hours 55 min • Naples: 4 hours 15 min
ITALO - Info T: 060708. Italo Assistance T: 892020. www.italotreno.it TRENORD - Milano Lombardy Railway Info T: 02 72494949. Mon-Sun 7am-9pm. From Milano/Cadorna to Volandia Museum, via Malpensa Express in 30'. www.trenord.it
MILANO MALPENSA (MXP) - (45 km from the centre of Milan - A8 direction Varese). Flight and bus info T: 02 232323. www.seaaeroportimilano.it • Connection to Milano Malpensa Bus > from the Central Station (Stazione Centrale, corner Piazza IV Novembre). Travel time 50'. Air Pullman (www.malpensashuttle.com) Ticket € 10. T: 02 58583185; Terravision (www.terravision.eu) € 8; Autostradale (www.autostradale.it) Ticket € 8. T: 02 72001304. Train > from the Central Station (Stazione Centrale). Travel time 50' ca. It is possible to reach Malpensa also from the Garibaldi FS Station. Ticket € 13. www.trenitalia.com Train > from Cadorna Station (Stazione Cadorna). Travel time 40' ca. Trenord (www. malpensaexpress).it. Ticket € 13. (www.trenord.it). T: 02 72494949.
MILANO LINATE (LIN) - (6 km from the centre of Milan). Flight information 24h-24h T: 02 232323 (call center). www.sea-aeroportimilano.it • Connection to Milano Linate ATM 73 > Bus from Via Gonzaga (M1-M3 Duomo). Travel time: 30'-40'. Ticket € 1.50. www.atm.it. T: 02 48607607. Autostradale > Bus from the Central Station (Stazione Centrale, corner piazza Luigi di Savoia). Travel time: 30'. Ticket € 5. www.autostradale.it. T: 02 72001304.
ORIO AL SERIO (BGY) - (45 km from the centre of Milan – A4 direction Bergamo). Flights and bus info 24h-24h. T: 035 326323. www.orioaeroporto.it. • Connection to Orio al Serio-Bergamo Bus from the Central Station (Stazione Centrale, corner Piazza Luigi di Savoia). Travel time 60'. Orioshuttle (www.orioshuttle.com). T: 035 330706; Autostradale (www.autostradale.it). T: 035 322915; Terravision (www.terravision.eu) Ticket € 5.
INFOMILANO - Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II corner of piazza della Scala. T: 02 88455555. Mon-Fri 9am7pm / Sat 9am-6pm; Sun and holidays 10am-6pm.
CITYSIGHTSEEING MILANO HOP ON-HOP OFF Hallmark red double-decker bus. 7 days a week, all year around. 48 hours: ticket valid for 3 lines, over 40 stops. 10 language commentary. Prices: Adults (48 hours) € 25 - Adults (1 day) € 22 - reduced € 10. Departure: Foro Bonaparte 12, in front of Zani Viaggi/Milan Visitor Center (M1 Cairoli). T: 02 867131. You can join the tour from any stop. Tickets on board, in hotels and authorized agencies or on internet. A Line: Castello, Cenacolo, Sant'Ambrogio, Navigli, Università Statale, Duomo, La Scala, Arena. B Line: Castello, Triennale, Corso Como, Stazione Centrale, Buenos Aires, San Babila, Brera. C Line: Castello, Garibaldi, Monumentale, Fieramilanocity, Stadio San Siro, Parco Sempione. Combo tickets for top Milan attractions can be purchased on board at special prices. www.milano.city-sightseeing.it Map E4
LOOKALS - A new platform offering travelers a choice of the best selection of tours and activities in Italy created by locals and tour guides who, by promoting and selling their own itineraries, will have a chance to get in touch with thousands of travelers across the globe. www.lookals.com.
OPEN TOUR MILAN - Two tours and more than 37 stops to discover Milan on board modern doubledecker buses. A Hop On Hop Off tourist service (the main departure point is Piazza Castello 26). Line 1 "City Center": Castello, Cenacolo, Museo Scienza e Tecnologia, Navigli, Duomo, La Scala, Stazione Centrale, Gae Aulenti. Line 2 "Sporting": Triennale, Fiera Milano City, Casa Milan, Ippodromo, Stadio San Siro. Prices: Adults 22€ (2 consecutive days 25€); Child (5 -15 years), 9.50€; 0-4 years free; Family: from 60€. On board: audioguide service (10 languages), commentary for kids in 3 languages, free Wi Fi, USB charger, disabled access, GPS locator - realtime map to find bus position online. Tickets onboard, online at www.milanopentour.com, at Open Tour Milan Office by Frigerio Viaggi (via De Amicis, 57 - M2 S. Ambrogio. T: +39 02 83123903), and through over 800 official resellers in Italy. www.milanopentour. com. Map E3
SEGWAY - The trendiest, most environmentallyfriendly ways to visit the city. It offers a wide range of services including: walking and bike tours (Group and Private), Segway tours and a bike and Segway rental service. English and French languages or audio-guide included. Reservations recommended T: +39 340 1220904
and T: +39 339 1228195 (7 days a week) – firstname.lastname@example.org. Via Rovello 1/N02 corner of via San Tomaso (side of via Dante). M1 Cairoli. www.segwaytourmilan.com www.milancitytour.it. Map E4
Street markets (see map pages 70-71)
1. FIERA DI SINIGAGLIA STREET MARKET– The only “flea market” in Milan, it attracts a varied public ranging from collectors to bargain hunters. Saturdays. www.fieradisinigaglia.it Ripa di Porta Ticinese (from via Paoli to via Bersanti)
2. NAVIGLIO GRANDE ANTIQUE MARKET – A “not-to-be-missed” date for collectors the world over. Last Sunday of every month. Naviglio Grande, from the Darsena to the bridge in via Valenza. M2 Porta Genova FS.
3. MERCATINO FILATELICO (STAMPS AND COINS) – A historic market and the third largest in Europe. Open on Sundays and weekdays. Via Armorari, Via Cordusio, Via C. Cantù, Galleria Cordusio. M1 Cordusio, M1- M3 Duomo.
4. VIALE PAPINIANO STREET MARKET – Held twice-weekly, this is Milan's largest street market, renowned for its high-end fashion pickings. Tuesdays and Saturdays. Viale Papiniano. M2 Sant'Agostino.
5. ANTIQUE AND SECOND-HAND BOOK MARKET – A monthly appointment which sees the participation of booksellers from all over the world. Every second Sunday of the month (excluding the months of July and August). Piazza Diaz. M1-M3 Duomo.
6. CASCINA CUCCAGNA – A 17th century farmhouse in Milan hosting a farmers' food market. Every Tuesday, from 3.30pm to 8pm. www.cuccagna.org. Via Cuccagna, corner of via Muratori.
7. EAST MARKET – A pure East London-inspired market boasting vintage or second-hand clothes and accessories, old vinyls, antiques and jewellery, as well as street food. Every third Sunday of the month, 10am-9pm. www.eastmarketmilano.com Via Privata Giovanni Ventura, 14 via Massimiano, 6. M2 Lambrate FS
8. MERCATINO ANTIQUARIATO E BROCANTAGE DI BRERA Every third Sunday of the month in the charming Brera district, from 9am to 6pm. Via Fiori Chiari-via Madonnina – via Formentini. M2 Lanza.
9. VIA FAUCHÉ STREET MARKET– Very appreciated by the fashionistas. You can find discounted clothes and shoes of the most prestigious Italian stylists. Twice a week, every Tuesday (7.30am-1pm) and Saturday (7.30am-5pm).
10. MERCATO DEL SUFFRAGIO – Municipal market in corso XXII Marzo, offering high quality food. From Tuesday to Saturday (7.30am-11pm) and Sunday (7.30am-4pm).
STUDIO BERNITZ - email@example.com T: 02 26410024/335 6348682. LANGUAGE CONSULTING www.lcc.it Via Lanzone, 6. T: 02 8057846/864156.
BIKEMI – A public bicycle transport system. The service runs 365 days a year, from 7 am to 1 am, with traditional and electric bicycles. Maximum consecutive use is 2 hours. Temporary subscriptions > daily: 4,50 euros; weekly: 9 euros; annual: 36 euros. Credit cards only. Price: first 30 min. free of charge, then 0.50 euros every 30 min. Infoline ATM T: 02 48607607. www.bikemi.com
MOBIKE – This ‘free floating' system allows you to book a bike via a smartphone App, identify the position of the bike nearest to you and then leave it in any authorized parking area in the city. Cost: 1 euro deposit, and 0.30 euros every 30 minutes. For more information visit www.mobike.com
OFO – Ofo, the world's largest station-free bike sharing company, has launched in Milan. Operating across 180 cities worldwide, Ofo's mission is to provide a convenient, affordable and low carbon method of travel. Users can download an App on their smartphone to find nearby bikes and scan the QR code located on either the frame or smart lock to unlock them. The company's distinctive yellow bikes have airless tyres (to prevent punctures) and a 3-speed gear shift. The company plans on expanding its offer to cover the entire metropolitan area over the coming months. Costs: 0.20 euros for the first half hour; 0.30 euros for the second half hour; 0.50 euros for every 30 minutes thereafter and 5 euros per day. For more information visit ita.ofo.com