A GREAT MUSEUM CELEBRATING VENETIAN TREASURES
This exhibition, marking the bicentenary of the foundation of the Gallerie dell'Accademia, pays tribute to the cultural revival of the city in 1815. It was a significant moment in the artistic history of the Serenissima because it marked the return from Paris of an important Venetian symbol, the four horses of St. Mark. Illustrious intellectual Leopoldo Cicognara worked with renowned artists Francesco Hayez and Antonio Canova to establish a museum of international standing that would give exposure to Venice's extraordinary artistic patrimony, while simultaneously promoting contemporary art.
Canova, Hayez, Cicognara. The Last Glory of Venice.
Gallerie dell’Accademia. www.gallerieaccademia.org www.mostrabicentenariogallerie.it
◄ Left: G. Borsato-B. Barbaria-B. Bongiovanni, Homage of the Venetian Provinces (1818). Konopiště, The National Heritage Institute, Konopiště Castle, Czech Republic.