Use generators safely, warns health ministry
THE MINISTRY of Health yesterday advised persons who opt to use generators as a result of disruption in their power supply to take extra precautions and be aware that they use engines which produce carbon dioxide, a poisonous gas that can kill.
As a result, the ministry said generators should be used outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents of occupied spaces.
The ministry also noted that water would damage generators as well as produce an electrical hazard, so they should be kept in a dry area.
Generators should also be kept a safe distance from structures because of engine heat.
An appliance that has a heating element, such as a toaster or hairdryer, consumes a large amount of current. Persons should avoid using these appliances when running the generator.
The ministry said some generators have the ability to produce 115/120 volts or 220 volts, so the outlet that uses the correct voltage should be selected.
Scores of persons flocked to the Palisadoes strip in St Andrew yesterday to view the large waves crashing along the shoreline.