UWI edge Reno in ill-tem­pered match

Jamaica Gleaner - - SPORTS - Paul Clarke Gleaner Writer

RENO FC goal­keeper Den­nis Keeper saved one penalty and then had an­other scored on him as visit­ing UWI FC edged the home team 1-0 in an ill­tem­pered Red Stripe Pre­mier League game at the Frome Sports Ground yes­ter­day to move to 10 points in the stand­ings.

Roshane Smith con­verted from the penalty spot in the 86th minute, but it was an 82nd-minute Reno sub­sti­tu­tion that changed the game in UWI’s favour, bring­ing on Ber­shan Bryan for the tir­ing Ju­nior Neil.

Tay­lor was im­pres­sive early in the first half as he de­nied Ke­mar Flem­mings when he dived to his left to parry a 45thminute penalty to keep the team level head­ing into the half-time break.

But all his good work was un­done late in the sec­ond half as the aw­fully slow Bryan gave up pos­ses­sion at a crit­i­cal po­si­tion on the field, al­low­ing Smith to pounce.

The for­ward darted in­side the area, with Tay­lor rush­ing off his line, but the keeper’s mist­imed grab for the ball up­ended the UWI player, leav­ing lit­tle for ref­eree Ver­al­ton Nem­b­hard to do but point to the spot.

He then stroked the ball off the up­right and into the goal to se­cure the win for UWI, who, up to that point, were will­ing, it would seem, to set­tle for a point away from home.

Reno had ear­lier come close to tak­ing the lead twice, but squan­dered good chances to leave their sup­port­ers equally vexed at the doomed sub­sti­tu­tion as with the ref­eree’s de­ci­sion.


It was UWI’s third suc­ces­sive vic­tory against Reno at the Frome ground, but they were, in­deed, lucky this time around, as Reno also had an ap­peal for a penalty turned down in the 77th minute.

UWI lost Jamie Robin­son, while Reno FC’s Omar John­son were both shown the red card in the 67th minute for strik­ing out at each other dur­ing a chal­lenge just out­side the Reno 18-yard area, leav­ing the teams play­ing the re­main­der of the match with ten men, re­spec­tively.

An­drew Peart, the UWI as­sis­tant coach, said they are grate­ful to have come away with the vic­tory, adding that it was a tough en­counter, but that his team’s tenac­ity paid off.

“We made the last penalty count, hav­ing missed one ear­lier in the match, so yes, we are grate­ful for the win,” said Peart.

But a clearly dis­ap­pointed Wen­dell Down­swell said he has to take re­spon­si­bil­ity for the sub­sti­tu­tion that brought Bryan into the play.

“He looked good in train­ing and he had in­struc­tions, but it turned out to be a bad change and it cost us at least a point here,” Down­swell ad­mit­ted.

“Things like this hap­pen from time to time and we are not happy. We had our chances, but that de­ci­sion ac­tu­ally took the game from us,” he told The Gleaner.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.