Tips to im­prove your score

Jamaica Gleaner - - IMMIGRATION CORNER - Dei­dre S. Pow­ell is a lawyer, mediator and no­tary pub­lic. Send your ques­tions and com­ments to info@dei­drepow­ or call 613.695.8777 or 876.922.4092. Find her on Face­book: Ja­maican­lawyer. Dei­dre S. Pow­ell

Dear Ms Pow­ell, How can I get per­ma­nent res­i­dence in Canada? My hus­band is a chef and we would love to qual­ify.

– W.L.

Dear W.L., I am con­tin­u­ing my an­swer from two weeks ago, and I hope to pro­vide you with tips on how to im­prove your Com­pre­hen­sive Rank­ing Score, so that you can re­ceive an in­vi­ta­tion to ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dence in Canada.

You will need to pro­vide lan­guage re­ports for English and/or French.

Canada is look­ing for in­di­vid­u­als who can fill the gap in the labour mar­ket and con­trib­ute to the econ­omy. They are look­ing for pro­fes­sion­als or fed­eral skilled work­ers, as well as cer­tain spec­i­fied skilled trade work­ers.

The skilled trades that are cur­rently el­i­gi­ble for the Fed­eral Skilled Trades Pro­gramme and the Ex­press En­try Sys­tem are those that are clas­si­fied as in­dus­trial, elec­tri­cal, con­struc­tion, main­te­nance and equip­ment op­er­a­tion, su­per­vi­sors and tech­ni­cal jobs in nat­u­ral re­sources, agri­cul­ture and re­lated pro­duc­tion, pro­cess­ing, man­u­fac­tur­ing and util­i­ties su­per­vi­sors, cen­tral con­trol op­er­a­tors, chefs, cooks, butch­ers and bak­ers. All these skills are clas­si­fied as skill-type B and will be ad­mit­ted into the pool.

A re­port from the Cana­dian gov­ern­ment re­vealed that over 12,000 in­di­vid­u­als re­ceived in­vi­ta­tions to ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dence in 2015. Ma­jor­ity of the ap­pli­cants came from oc­cu­pa­tions such as food ser­vice su­per­vi­sors, cooks, in­for­ma­tion sys­tems an­a­lysts and con­sul­tants, soft­ware en­gi­neers, com­puter pro­gram­mers, uni­ver­sity pro­fes­sors and lec­tur­ers, fi­nan­cial au­di­tors, ac­coun­tants and in­vest­ment an­a­lysts.

You will need to show proof of train­ing and ed­u­ca­tion by way of an Ed­u­ca­tional Cre­den­tial As­sess­ment re­port, as well as a min­i­mum of one year’s work ex­pe­ri­ence in the oc­cu­pa­tion.

Your pro­file will be re­viewed and points will be given based on fac­tors such as core hu­man cap­i­tal; ac­com­pa­ny­ing spouse or com­mon-law part­ner; skill trans­fer­abil­ity and fac­tors re­lat­ing to a provin­cial nom­i­na­tion or a job of­fer from a qual­i­fied em­ployer.

A sin­gle ap­pli­cant can get up to 500 points just based on core hu­man cap­i­tal fac­tors. Points will be awarded based on age, level of ed­u­ca­tion, lan­guage pro­fi­ciency and Cana­dian work ex­pe­ri­ence (min­i­mum of one con­tin­u­ous year).

Ad­di­tional points can be ob­tained from re­ceiv­ing a valid job of­fer or provin­cial nom­i­na­tion. You can get an ad­di­tional 600 points if you have a valid job of­fer with a Labour Mar­ket Im­pact As­sess­ment re­port or a provin­cial nom­i­na­tion. You will need to submit a sep­a­rate ap­pli­ca­tion to the prov­inces in or­der to re­ceive a provin­cial nom­i­na­tion.

Here are ex­am­ples of pos­si­ble scores:

Mary is 27 years old with a mas­ter’s de­gree. She scored the max­i­mum points in each band in her English test; no French lan­guage exam; five years’ post­grad­u­a­tion work ex­pe­ri­ence out­side of Canada; no job of­fer; no provin­cial nom­i­na­tion. She is mar­ried to John 38, who has a bach­e­lor’s de­gree, re­ceived the max­i­mum in the English test. They have one child and CDN$20,000 in sav­ings.

Mary and John could get a score of ap­prox­i­mately 488 based on the com­bined Core/Hu­man, Spouse and Skill Trans­fer­abil­ity fac­tors and likely to get an in­vi­ta­tion to ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dence within six months.

An­drew is 24 years old; has a bach­e­lor’s de­gree; three years’ work ex­pe­ri­ence; English test scores of 8.5 in each band; French exam: 120 in each band; CDN$13,000 in sav­ings; no chil­dren; no provin­cial nom­i­na­tion; no job of­fer.

He would get an ap­prox­i­mate score of 441. He would be ad­mit­ted into the ex­press en­try pool. How­ever, his chances of re­ceiv­ing an in­vi­ta­tion to ap­ply for per­ma­nent res­i­dence would greatly im­prove if he does a one-year mas­ter’s de­gree or re­sits the French ex­am­i­na­tion and gets a min­i­mum of 300 points in each band. That would re­sult in his score im­prov­ing to 452.

So, you see it is im­por­tant to get the high­est pos­si­ble scores for the lan­guage ex­am­i­na­tions. That is the eas­i­est ways to in­crease your score and im­prove your chances of get­ting per­ma­nent res­i­dence in Canada. Pay spe­cial at­ten­tion to the lis­ten­ing ex­am­i­na­tion and aim for a min­i­mum of nine in this par­tic­u­lar cat­e­gory. This is a sure way of max­imis­ing your over­all points.

To find out your score based on your par­tic­u­lar sit­u­a­tion and for ad­di­tional tips on how to max­imise your scores, con­sult with an im­mi­gra­tion lawyer.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.