Brazilian soccer legend Carlos Alberto Torres dies
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP): ARLOS ALBERTO Torres, the captain of Brazil’s World Cup-winning team in 1970 and scorer of one of the sport’s most memorable goals, died yesterday. He was 72 and died after a heart attack at his home in Rio de Janeiro. A statement on Carlos Alberto’s Facebook page confirmed the death.
“It is in deep sorrow that we inform that this Tuesday morning our eternal captain, Carlos Alberto Torres, passed away
Cin Rio de Janeiro,” the statement said. Brazil’s football confederation CBF said that his coffin was to be placed at its headquarters in Rio yesterday evening, enabling the public to visit and pay their respects, and that a funeral service may be held there. He will be buried today.
In a statement, the CBF said: “Carlos Alberto Torres leaves an enormous legacy of achievements and lots of hard work to support our football.” Last month, his twin brother Carlos Roberto died.
One of the best defenders of his generation, Carlos Alberto was innovative in playing box-to-box soccer. That style of play allowed him to score his famous goal at the 1970 World Cup, blasting in a pass from Pelé in the 4-1 win against Italy in the final.
That goal, scored after a touch by almost every Brazilian on the pitch, is seen as the pinnacle of a team that was so dominant that it made their yellow shirts into a global brand.
Pelé, one of Carlos Alberto’s closest friends, said they had a “winning partnership” as teammates and remained close even after they retired.
“I am deeply saddened by the death of my friend and brother,” the three-time World Cup winner said in a statement.
At the end of that 1970 final, the 25-year-old Carlos Alberto became the last captain to lift the Jules Rimet trophy — the first three-time World Cup winners earned the right to keep it. The trophy that he famously kissed before lifting as a champion was later destroyed by thieves.
After those glorious days in Mexico, Brazil won two more World Cups in much less impressive fashion. This made Carlos Alberto one of the biggest advocates among his countrymen of a return to an attacking style of football.
For many Brazilians, he was just ‘The Captain’ — even to his friends and family. He made 53 appearances for Brazil.
“He was more than a leader, In this November 21, 2010 file photo, Brazil’s former soccer captain, Carlos Alberto Torres, kisses the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil trophy during its display in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. he was an innovative player. That is why he is our eternal captain,” said Carlos Alberto Parreira, a physical therapist on that 1970 team and later the coach when Brazil won the 1994 World Cup.
Former Germany captain Franz Beckenbauer, writing on social media, said Carlos Alberto “was like a brother” to him. Beckenbauer played alongside the Brazilian in the United States at the New York Cosmos.
Former Argentina captain, Diego Maradona, among many others, also expressed his condolences.
Carlos Alberto’s club career in Brazil was primarily with Santos, but he later played for the Cosmos and briefly for the California Surf.
His friendship with Pelé was built around their years at Santos. He also played for Rio de Janeiro clubs Fluminense, Botafogo and Flamengo. He retired in 1982.
All of those clubs expressed condolences to his family and fans.
His coaching career was not as impressive, but Carlos Alberto still won a Brazilian championship with Flamengo in 1983. The former footballer also had a brief appearance as a city councillor in Rio from 1989 to 1993.
Carlos Alberto was working as a soccer commentator for sports channel SporTV and was on the air on Sunday covering a match. LONDON (AP) : English football authorities are investigating newspaper allegations that Watford supplied falsified financial information to allow Italian businessman Gino Pozzo to become the club's owner.
The Daily Telegraph reported yesterday it has obtained a forged bank letter submitted by Watford to provide proof that Pozzo had enough funds to take over the club before the 2014-15 season. Watford won promotion to the Premier League that season. The English Football League, which runs the three divisions below the Premier League, says "We immediately commenced a disciplinary investigation into serious allegations made against Watford" after receiving information by the Daily Telegraph.
The EFL has asked Watford to "provide a full and detailed response to the allegations."