Ottey’s stun­ning strike halts UWI’s charge

Jamaica Gleaner - - SPORTS - Paul Clarke Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BU­REAU: MON­TEGO BAY United’s (MBU) enig­matic winger Alan Ottey notched his fifth goal of the sea­son with a sump­tu­ous sec­ond-half strike to give the de­fend­ing Red Stripe Premier League cham­pi­ons a nar­row 1-0 vic­tory over the Univer­sity of the West Indies (UWI) FC yes­ter­day.

Play­ing with­out their two pre­ferred for­wards – Dino Wil­liams, who was serv­ing a one match ban for card ac­cu­mu­la­tion, and Corey Hyl­ton, who is out in­jured – MBU wasted sev­eral chances to score, par­tic­u­larly in the first half.

But in a bat­tle of the cham­pion team ver­sus the league lead­ers com­ing into the match, it seemed they might have had to set­tle for a point, un­til Ottey’s magic shone through.

He picked up a pass laid in­side, swiv­elled and un­leashed his shot, leav­ing the out­stand­ing Amal Knight beaten in the UWI goal for the game’s only strike and three very im­por­tant points for the cham­pi­ons.

They were also with­out their tech­ni­cal di­rec­tor Slav­isa Bozi­cic and wing back Zvez­dan Dor­eilovic, who are both away on fam­ily mat­ters.

But MBU never needed them, as Ottey, Dono­van Carey, Ron­aldo

Rodney and Jer­maine Woozen­croft were su­perb go­ing for­ward.

Rodney should have scored three goals in the 18th, 27th and 30th min­utes, re­spec­tively, but ei­ther fired over or straight at the UWI

goal­keeper. He was later sub­sti­tuted in the sec­ond half.

The win was a good one for MBU, who had stum­bled in the last two matches away, but play­ing at home in more fa­mil­iar en­vi­rons worked for them, with as­sis­tant coach Dil­lon Thel­well telling The Gleaner that he was pleased with the per­for­mance.

“This was a very good per­for­mance. There were some ner­vous mo­ments, but we did the job,” Thel­well said.


“Tac­ti­cally, we were bril­liant against this UWI team, who we knew would be com­ing at us. They wanted to stay atop the stand­ings and we needed to get closer to the top. It was a hard game, but we are de­lighted with the win,” Thel­well rea­soned.

Mar­cel Gayle, UWI’s coach said his team was un­for­tu­nate to con­cede so late into the game, but warned they will be come back af­ter a two-week break stronger.

“We lost, but we are not down­hearted; we gave a go. We never looked like scor­ing and had the mis­for­tune of con­ced­ing, but we will be stronger for this de­feat,” he said.

Ottey’s goal was on the cards as he flashed a header just over the cross­bar in the 37th minute and be­fore that had a pow­er­ful shot blocked by a de­fender.

“I told my­self that I needed to score. It was up to me to score and I am happy with the goal. It was beau­ti­ful,” said Ottey, who also has four as­sist, on the sea­son.

PHOTO BY Paul Clarke

UWI FC mid­fielder Davion Gar­ri­son (left) and Ja­son Wat­son of League cham­pi­ons, Mon­tego Bay United (MBU), bat­tle for ball pos­ses­sion dur­ing their Red Stripe Prim­ier League game at West­pow Park yes­ter­day. MBU won the game 1-0.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.