Boyz ad­vance

‘Tappa’ sat­is­fied af­ter Suri­name win

Jamaica Gleaner - - SPORTS - Liv­ingston Scott Gleaner Writer

HEAD COACH Theodore ‘Tappa’ Whit­more was left sat­is­fied with Ja­maica’s all-im­por­tant win over Suri­name in their Caribbean Foot­ball Union qual­i­fier last night in front of less than 1,000 fans inside the National Stadium.

Play­ing with ten men af­ter young de­fender Damion Lowe – son of for­mer Reg­gae Boyz player Onandi Lowe was sent off af­ter a silly chal­lenge, the Ja­maicans man­aged to main­tain the lead they had ear­lier en­joyed through Corey Burke’s first-half goal, to book their place in next year’s Caribbean Cup and CONCACAF Gold Cup tour­na­ments.

“We got a good result. We won and that is what we wanted to do. Af­ter the red card, we played two lines of four (play­ers) and one up­front and it worked out for us, so I am pleased,” Whit­more told The Gleaner af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle.

Burke scored the game’s only goal 11 min­utes into the match, but with two min­utes to go be­fore the half-time break, the hosts were left a man short af­ter Lowe – like his fa­ther had a few times in his ca­reer – was shown the red card, to set up what promised to be an anx­ious sec­ond half for the lo­cals.


It was, in fact, Lowe who got the first chance for the Ja­maicans, who started in a pos­i­tive man­ner, but his header went ag­o­nis­ingly wide af­ter six min­utes of play.

Eleven min­utes into the game, Michael Binns’ rak­ing pass found Dino Wil­liams down the left side. Wil­liams then beat his marker be­fore set­ting up Burke, who hardly could have missed from seven yards out, send­ing the small set of loy­al­ists inside the National Stadium in cel­e­bra­tion.

Burke should have made it 2-0 a minute

later, but with the Suri­name goal­keeper Cladel Kohm­nor at his mercy, he chose to pass to Wil­liams as the chance went beg­ging.

The hosts were in to­tal con­trol un­til Lowe need­lessly stepped on an op­po­nent who was on the ground and as ex­pected, was shown a straight red card by the of­fi­cial.

Af­ter the break, the vis­i­tors in­creased their in­ten­sity in at­tack and looked danger­ous at times with Ja­maica spend­ing most of the first 20 min­utes of the pe­riod in their de­fen­sive third.

Nonethe­less, the Ja­maicans were never re­ally threat­ened and, in the 65th minute,

Binns nearly added to their lead but saw his shot re­bound­ing off the post.

Two min­utes later, Rosario Har­riot had to clear off the line af­ter goal­keeper An­dre Blake left his line and the ball re­bounded off the Suri­name at­tacker Roxey Fer.

Soon af­ter, Blake had to pro­duce a spec­tac­u­lar div­ing save to deny Ste­fano Rus­sell, who un­leashed a wicked right-footed ef­fort from inside the penalty box, which sent the Ja­maican cap­tain sprawl­ing to his left to make the stop.

There was pre­cious lit­tle else to worry the Ja­maicans who gave away lit­tle more and held on for the win.


Corey Burke (left) tries to get past Suri­name goal­keeper Cladel Ko­hi­nor dur­ing their Caribbean Foot­ball Union Caribbean Cup qual­i­fier at the National Stadium last night. Ja­maica won 1-0.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.