How do I get my helper to Canada?

Jamaica Gleaner - - ENTERTAINMENT - Dei­dre S. Pow­ell

Dear Miss Pow­ell, AM 83 years old and I usu­ally spend sum­mers in Ja­maica. I have a helper who works with me when I am there. The doc­tors do not rec­om­mend that I go on any ex­tended trip and I’m in need of some help here in Canada. I do not want to be in a nurs­ing home. I would like my helper in Ja­maica to come to Canada to work for me. How can I get my helper here? My neigh­bour said she spon­sored her helper some years ago, but that the rules have changed a bit since then. Is there a way to get my Ja­maican helper to come to work for me in Canada?

– L.M.

IDear L.M.,

A Cana­dian per­ma­nent res­i­dent or cit­i­zen can hire an in­ter­na­tional worker to as­sist them in their home in Canada, pro­vided that both the Cana­dian em­ployer and the in­ter­na­tional em­ployee can sat­isfy cer­tain re­quire­ments.

Be­fore you can make a job of­fer, you will first need to get a pos­i­tive Labour Mar­ket Im­pact As­sess­ment (LMIA) from the Cana­dian gov­ern­ment. The LMIA will be your author­ity to hire an in­ter­na­tional em­ployee. You can get this doc­u­ment from the Em­ploy­ment and So­cial Devel­op­ment Canada Ser­vices. If you qual­ify, this re­port will al­low you to hire your helper un­der the Tem­po­rary For­eign Worker Pro­gramme (TFWP).

Once ob­tained, you should send a copy of the LMIA, along with a con­tract of em­ploy­ment, to your helper so that she can ap­ply for a work per­mit un­der the TFWP.

Your helper/po­ten­tial in­ter­na­tional em­ployee will need to ap­ply for an em­ployer-spe­cific work per­mit from the Visa Ap­pli­ca­tion Cen­tre (VAC) near­est to her in Ja­maica. She should sub­mit the re­quired ap­pli­ca­tion forms, proof of her ed­u­ca­tion, work ex­pe­ri­ence and other doc­u­ments to show that she meets the re­quire­ment of the job that you are of­fer­ing her.


She should also be care­ful to show her ties to Ja­maica and that she in­tends to re­turn to Ja­maica at the end of her em­ploy­ment con­tract or on the ex­piry of her work visa. Ex­am­ples of doc­u­ments that she can sub­mit are: proof that she is in a com­mit­ted re­la­tion­ship; that she has chil­dren; tan­gi­ble as­sets such as a house, car, bank state­ments, and any other in­for­ma­tion to show that she has strong rea­sons to re­turn to Ja­maica when her con­tract ex­pires.

She will also need to sub­mit her bio­met­rics data, so her fin­ger­prints will be taken at the VAC. She must also pay the re­quired pro­cess­ing fee when sub­mit­ting the ap­pli­ca­tion.

This is es­sen­tially a twostep process, so you should con­sider con­tact­ing an im­mi­gra­tion lawyer to en­sure that both you and your em­ployee do a pre-as­sess­ment of your el­i­gi­bil­ity be­fore even sub­mit­ting an ap­pli­ca­tion to the Cana­dian im­mi­gra­tion author­i­ties. That way, you will be fully aware of all the re­quire­ments be­fore­hand and en­sure that you can both meet them. This could save you both a lot of time, and money and pre­vent un­due stress.



Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.