Can I sue a school?

Jamaica Gleaner - - NEWS - Or­lean BrownEarle Or­lean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psy­chol­o­gist and fam­ily ther­a­pist. Dr BrownEarle works with chil­dren with learn­ing and be­havioural prob­lems through­out the is­land and in the Caribbean. Email ques­tions to editor@glean­ or send

Q : Is there a law that we can use to sue schools when they do not pro­vide cor­rect treat­ment for chil­dren who have been trau­ma­tised ? I am tired of this now. A: The first thing you should do is en­sure that the in­for­ma­tion about poor treat­ment is cor­rect. Most schools re­fer cases that they can­not han­dle to psy­chol­o­gists and psy­chi­a­trists. We can only hope that the school coun­sel­lors get con­tin­u­ous train­ing as needed.

Q :

My hus­band is about to sue a med­i­cal doc­tor who mis­di­ag­nosed a men­tal prob­lem that our child has. He gave her med­i­ca­tion that caused her to stare for hours on end. Can we sue? A: A med­i­cal doc­tor usu­ally pre­scribes med­i­ca­tion based on the in­for­ma­tion that he or she is given. Many medicines have side ef­fects. The best thing to do when you see a bad ef­fect that may be caused my med­i­ca­tion is to go back to the doc­tor.


I am tired of all the child rape that I am see­ing. I work at a health fa­cil­ity. Am I get­ting to burnout stage? A: You may be at the burnout stage now and may need some rest and ther­apy be­fore re­turn­ing to work. Dis­cuss this con­cern with your su­per­vi­sor.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.