One person missing in Kisii tragedy
One person was still missing even as a rescue operation at the site where a building collapsed in Kisii came to an end yesterday.
By last evening, the death toll stood at seven as 24 other people nursed injuries in hospitals. They were admitted to Hema, Christ Marriane and Kisii Teaching and Referral hospitals.
Emergency and humanitarian agencies said a Mr Charles Mokaya had not been traced since the building collapsed on Wednesday morning. He had been seen at the site shortly before the building went down but it was not clear whether he fled or got trapped in.
Developer being pursued
Preliminary investigations indicated the building had been condemned by the National Construction Authority for violating the building code, National Disaster Management Unit Incident Commander Pius Masai said.
Emergency response teams combed the site, sifting through the debris and flattening one of the apartments before the exercise was called off at 4.30 am.
Mr Masai, who coordinated the rescue operation, said the developer is on the run but police were pursuing him.
“We urge him to surrender to help us with investigations,” said Mr Masai. “It is clear from the rubble that the cement used was below the acceptable ratio.”
Kisii Governor James Ongwae, who visited the scene, promised swift investigations into the incident.
Cleaners at Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital wheel a survivor to the X-ray room on Wednesday after a building collapsed in Kisii town.