Nakuru medics’ strike enters sixth day
Two patients have died at the Naivasha Subcounty Hospital as the strike by Nakuru health workers entered its fifth day yesterday. The management was quick to say the deaths resulted from natural causes and had nothing to do with the and not strike. The hospital stopped admitting patients, apart from emergency cases. The workers pledged to stay away until their grievances are handled. They went on strike on Friday last week. They demand two months back wages and improvement in their terms and working conditions. Superintendent Joseph Mburu said 26 medical officers and consultants are on strike. He said though the out-patient department is operating normally, services in the wards have been adversely affected. Mburu said the two patients who died had been ailing.
Empty beds at a Naivasha Subcounty Hospital ward on August 12