Nakuru doctors back to work after striking deal with county employer
Nakuru doctors have called off their strike after signing a return-to-work formula on Sunday. Acting South Kenya Medical Practitioners, Pharmacists and Dentists’ Union representative Hillary Kubai said they ended the strike after a series of meetings with the county. The strike took 14 days. Kubai said issues agreed on include paying doctors posted this year their salary arrears for April and May and effecting promotions. “The few pending issues will be looked into later. We are optimistic the county will act and do as agreed. There will be no strikes in future if the county cooperates,” he said. A few activities at the Nakuru Level-5 Hospital were ongoing. Tens of patients were streaming in. The hospital receives patients from the neighbouring counties — Baringo, Kericho, Bomet, Nyandarua and Samburu. “I didn’t know the strike had been called off. I tried my luck because I could not take my patient to a private facility,” Paul Maina said.