Matatu sacco challenges NTSA’s decision in court
A matatu sacco whose licence was revoked last month over non-compliance has gone to court to challenge the decision. The Narok Line Services Sacco yesterday told the High Court the decision by the National Transport and Safety Authority to halt operations of 140 vehicles is unreasonable and a blatant abuse of powers. The sacco, whose matatus ply Nairobi, Narok, Bomet, Kisii and Kericho routes, said it has been complying with the NTSA Act, NTSA Regulations and the Traffic Act for the last 30 years. In a letter dated September 13, the NTSA revoked the operator’s licences of Narok Line and five other saccos. In its decision, the NTSA directed the sacco to take its vehicles for inspection. The authority also directed the traffic commandant to ensure vehicles from the saccos are impounded if they violate the suspension. NTSA said the decision is meant to crack down on errant matatus to curb road carnage. Other saccos whose licences were revoked are AheroMowouk Sacco, Daima Connection Ltd Sacco, Sema Stage Sacco and Mwingi Travellers Sacco.