Mandera survivors say they received warning of impending attack
Quarry worker says locals told them not to report to work as early as usual
Survivors of Thursday’s raid in Mandera town have said they had received information a major attack was in the offing. The attack was on a residential house at Bulla Public Works.
Quarry worker Peter Irungu said some locals had told them not to report to work early, as they did before. “Like this week, we had been told to report to work at 8am. But we would hear none of it. We never took the threats with the seriousness they deserved,” he said.
Government spokesman Erick Kiraithe said they had intelligence al Shabaab militants were planning an attack in Mandera, but the intel was not sufficient to act on.
He said the reports informed security forces to prepare for prompt response in case of an attack. Kiraithe said more lives were saved because of the swift response. Among those killed were a teacher, an NGO worker, a bar- ber, a quarry worker and a labourer.
The majority of the survivors said they will stay put. “This incident will not dampen my spirit to continue working in this area. What I know for sure is that it is God who protects and when your day comes, you will die, even in the comfort of your house,” said a survivor who identified himself as Muvinyi. County commissioner Fredrick Shisia said the attack was well-coordinated.
Kenya Red Cross workers near bodies after the attack by al Shabaab militants in Mandera town on Thursday