Student loses eyesight after he drinks ethanol
A student has been hospitalised for vision loss after drinking ethanol chemistry class. The form four student of Kenyatta Mahiga Boys Secondary School drank ethanol on Thursday during the class. He is admitted at Othaya District Hospital. The boy said some of his classmates also drank the alcohol but he was the only casualty.
His mother, Martha Wairimu, accused the teachers of waiting too long before taking him to hospital. Dr Joseph Gichui said if the student had been taken to hospital early his condition would not have worsened. He said medical staff hope he will recover his eyesight.
Principal Onesmus Mwangi said the student was suspended for two weeks last term for indiscipline. He denied claims he ignores calls from the student’s parent. Mwangi said they have been in touch regularly since the poisoning incident.
Wairimu said she will transfer her son from the school, and accused the management she accused of neglect.