Police probe death threats in relation to Sh791m NYS saga
Gethi says he had been threatened and warned that he is a target for elimination, because of the confidential information he has
Police are investigating alleged death threats sent at the weekend to a key suspect in the Sh791 million NYS scandal case.
Businessman Ben Gethi, one of those charged with the multi-million shilling National Youth Service ripoff lodged a complaint at Parklands police station. He said he had been threatened and warned that he is a target for elimination, because of the confidential information he has.
Last week, Gethi appeared before the Parliamentary Accounts Committee. He told the team he has in his possession communication between investigators and former Devolution CS Anne Waiguru that implicates them in alleged tampering with investigations.
In the statement, Gethi said a motorcyclist gave his driver a note addressed to him, relating to the statements he made during the PAC summons.
The note, written in Kiswahili, reads, “Ben come siku ya Tuesday, tutakua tukikuaangalia kwa makini zaidi. Kile ambacho unajua utapeana kwa hao watu huko Bunge ambacho hakikuhusu na kina husu wengine wacha kisifike kwa hao watu.
“If hiyo information itafikia hao watu itabidi kitu kifanywe na hatakama unafikiri watakuprotect tunajua corner zote ambazo tutapata wapendwa wako. We will do what we have to do. Asante. (Ben, come Tuesday we will be watching you very keenly. Whatever you have that you will give to those people at Parliament and does not concern you but concerns others, should not reach them. If the information reaches them, then something will have to be done. Even if you think they will protect you. We know all corners where to get your loved ones).”
During his questioning by the PAC, Gethi made reference to bank deposit slips and questioned his selective prosecution.
NYS scandal suspect Ben Gethi (holding bag) appears before the National Assembly Public Accounts Committee on October 4