Three killed in Burundi as poll violence builds
Government rejects international inquiry to identify perpetrators
REUTERS/ A ruling party official and two others were killed in a bar in southern Burundi, an official said yesterday, as the toll from 18 months of political violence grows.
Unidentified gunmen attacked the bar in Saga village, Rumonge province, at around 8.30pm on Monday evening, regional official Joachim Manirakiza told Reuters.
Manirakiza said a school principal was among the victims.
The African country has been gripped by political strife and conflict since President Pierre Nkurunziza’s sought and won a third term in 2015, which opponents said violated the Constitution and terms of a peace deal that ended civil war in 2005.
At least three rebel groups have taken up arms against Nkurunziza and hundreds have been killed, including opposition figures and government officials, in tit-for-tat violence.
The UN Human Rights Council agreed last week to set up a commission of inquiry to identify perpetrators of killings and torture in Burundi and to ensure they are brought to justice. Burundi rejected the move.
At least 564 killings have been documented by the United Nations in Burundi since the unrest broke out.
Burundi’s government banned three UN investigators from its territory on Monday, deepening a row between the east African country and the international community over recurring political violence.
The brief letter from Foreign Affairs minister Alain Nyamitwe named three investigators linked to a report released last month, which identified officials suspected of ordering political opposition to be tortured or killed.
United Nations Independent Investigation on Burundi experts Pablo de Greiff and Christof Heyns during the presentation of a final report to the Human Rights Council in Geneva on September 27/