Calais ‘Jungle’ camp set for demolition
The operation to close the camp has been largely peaceful so far
Migrants remaining at the “Jungle” camp in Calais are awaiting the beginning of demolition work, as French officials continue to remove residents by coach.
The clearance process saw some 2,000 migrants leave voluntarily on Monday for centres across France.
Hundreds more left on Tuesday as the pulling down of unoccupied tents and structures was due to begin. The Jungle has become a key symbol of Europe’s migration crisis, housing some 7,000 residents in squalid conditions.
The operation to close the camp has been largely peaceful so far, but concerns remain that some migrants will refuse to give up their attempts to cross the Channel. The BBC’s Simon Jones, at the camp, was jostled as police tried to keep order among the hundreds of migrants who lined up early on Tuesday to get on coaches out of the camp.
He said officials had been expected to move in later to begin clearing the Jungle’s infrastructure; they were expected to do so by hand, as sending in bulldozers at this point would send the wrong message to migrants they wanted to convince to get on buses voluntarily.
But by mid-morning, no official demolition had begun. The French authorities said the priority was departures. Calais police commissioner said the camp will be fully cleared by Friday.