18 families homeless and property worth millions of shillings razed in Kangemi fire
About 18 families were left homeless and property worth millions of shillings destroyed after a fire razed Kangemi market and neighbouring houses yesterday morning. The fire started at 3am in one of the stalls and spread to the whole market. No injuries were reported.
Assistant chief Leah Mburu said they are liaising with the Kenya Red Cross Society and local leaders to assist the affected families. “We have taken the names of those affected, which we will present to Red Cross and find them tents, food and clothing,” she said.
Residents blamed the fire brigade for failing to contain the fire. “They came with four engines and parked at the petrol station. It was the market that was on fire, not the station,” a trader said. “They only started fighting the fire after it had spread through the market.”
A section of the Kangemi open air market that was destroyed by the dawn fire