Worker injured after stadium’s prop falls
Lands executive Alfred Matianyi has cited negligence, but says the building is steady
One person was injured when a section of Bukhungu Stadium, under construction, collapsed on Saturday. The worker was trying to jump off the structure when the wall caved in.
Kakamega Lands executive Alfred Matianyi said the contractor was reconstructing parts of the structure as recommended by the Confederation of African Football a month ago. “The contractor was putting a slab on the section that CAF inspectors recommended that the height be in line with international standards. Some props that had been erected came down due to negligence,” he spoke on the phone yesterday.
However, Matianyi said the build- ing is steady and there is no cause for alarm.
Investigations will be carried out to establish the cause of the accident, said Deputy Governor Philip Kutima when he visited the stadium’s site.
The first phase of the project, which costs Sh800 million, is expected to be ready by December 12 for launching.
The stadium, with a seating capacity of 30,000 people, will be the third in Kenya to meet international standards after Safaricom Kasarani and Machakos stadia.
Matianyi said Bukhungu stadium is expected to be complete in four years.
A source in the CAF said the structure seems to be okay. “But I cannot give the technical opinion because I am not an engineer. The specifications are well put,” a source who sought anonymity said.