Po­lice say not aware of death caused by cop in Thika fi­asco

Chaos broke out at end of mu­sic ex­trav­a­ganza as hooli­gans at­tacked, robbed peo­ple

The Star (Kenya) - - Counties Central - JAMES WAINAINA @TheS­tarKenya

Po­lice yes­ter­day de­nied knowl­edge of any killing dur­ing Sun­day’s mu­sic ex­trav­a­ganza at Thika Sta­dium, where pop­u­lar Kikuyu gospel singer Muigai wa Njoroge launched his al­bum called Waku wa Muico.

Thika West po­lice boss Eras­tus Muthamia said no killing was re­ported, but his of­fi­cers are in­ves­ti­gat­ing the al­le­ga­tion.

Muthamia said soon af­ter the func­tion, 30 thugs armed with crude weapons started rob­bing and at­tack­ing fans and passersby out­side the sta­dium and its en­vi­rons.

He said po­lice of­fi­cers moved in swiftly to dis­perse the thugs. one vic­tim said, “They or­dered me to give them my phone, or else they would stab me.”


He said he was at­tacked by eight boys who took all his valu­ables and kicked him.

He said sim­i­lar in­ci­dents took place on the Keny­atta High­way, Sta­dium Road and near the Thika Sta­dium main stage.

Muthamia said, “All we know is that some peo­ple scam­per­ing for safety fell and were in­jured.” He said his of­fi­cers have a duty to main­tain law and or­der.

Muthamia dis­missed claims the at­tacks were po­lit­i­cally mo­ti­vated.

On Sun­day evening and early yes­ter­day, a sec­tion of the me­dia re­ported that a man had been shot dead by po­lice and sev­eral oth­ers in­jured when a group of hooli­gans at­tacked Ki­ambu Gover­nor Wil­liam Kabogo’s sup­port­ers dressed in ‘Kabogo Team’ T-shirts.

Ear­lier, Kabogo, while ad­dress­ing his sup­port­ers in Thika Sta­dium, ac­cused some politi­cians of hir­ing goons to dis­rupt the event and heckle him.


He did not elab­o­rate. Kabogo and Waititu have al­ready started early grass­roots cam­paign for the 2017 gen­eral elec­tion.

AP and reg­u­lar po­lice lobbed tear­gas can­is­ters and fired live bul­lets in the air to dis­perse the rowdy youths. This turned into a cat and mouse game for more than one-and-a-half hours.

The chaos paral­ysed ac­tiv­i­ties in the Cen­tral Busi­ness Dis­trict. Star re­porters were holed in the sta­dium for more than an hour.

They fi­nally made their way out through the Thika main bus sta­tion at around 8pm.

All that time, gun­shots could be heard and po­lice cars seen speed­ing with their sirens on, try­ing to main­tain calm.

When calm was re­stored, the town was jammed with stranded com­muters. Fares were hiked three­fold.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kenya

© PressReader. All rights reserved.