Starved groups in Ganze to get stipend
Red Cross has set aside Sh28.8 million
More than 6,000 people in Ganze are expected to benefit from a cash transfer programme initiated by the Kilifi government as a hunger mitigation measure.
The 1,000 households were identified by village administrators who focussed on the vulnerable homes based on criteria set by Red Cross.
The county will jointly run the four months initiative with the Red Cross Society. In the programme launched on Friday, 1,000 households will receive Sh6,000 each beginning this week. The Kenya Red Cross yesterday said it has set aside Sh28.8 million for the project.
This Emergency Cash Transfer Programme will be implemented in the hardest-hit famine areas of Ganze and Bamba ward in Ganze subcounty.
Speaking during the launch at the county headquarters, Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi said the kitty would sustain the most vulnerable residents. Kingi said the county has put in place measures to mitigate the hunger, which has seen more than 250,000 people starve.
“Our efforts alone are not going to relieve the burden of hunger. We need to bring all the people on board, including the national government, and see that we have central collection points to pick up food and distribute to our people,” Kingi said.
Kenya Red Cross regional coordinator Hassan Musa said the move to divert money had been brought about by the need to cut logistical expenses and grow local economies in hunger-stricken areas. The objective of the programme is to address the acute needs of poor households and meet their dietary needs, Musa said.
KITTY WOULD SUSTAIN THE MOST VULNERABLE RESIDENTS