Kenyans beaten

Shu­jaa out­played by South Africa in fi­nal of Safland Sev­ens

The Star (Kenya) - - Sports International - WIL­LIAM NJU­GUNA /

Kenya suc­cumbed 31-10 to South Africa in the fi­nal of the Safland Sev­ens yes­ter­day in Namibia.

It was the sec­ond loss to the Olympic bronze medal­lists on the same day, hav­ing lost 22-0 in the pool stages. The Bl­itzbokke set­tled early and dic­tated play and play-maker Ce­cil Afrika darted over the line with Branco Du Preez kick­ing over the con­ver­sion for a 7-0 score.

Dy­lan Sage dou­bled the ad­van­tage for the South Africans, cross­ing the white­wash with Kenya guilty of miss­ing tack­les and Du Preez adding the con­ver­sion for a 14-0 score. Kenya re­grouped and dom­i­nated pos­ses­sion briefly and were re­warded with a well taken but un­con­verted try by Leonard Mu­gaisi on the stroke of half­time as they trailed 14-5.

The Spring­bok Sev­ens out­fit came out fir­ing on all cylin­ders in the sec­ond half with Shakes Soy­izwapi crash­ing over the line with Du Preez slot­ting home the con­ver­sion to ex­tend the ad­van­tage to 21-5.

Billy Od­hi­ambo scored Kenya’s sec­ond try to cut the deficit to 21-10 but the South Africans proved too strong in the fi­nal min­utes with Wer­ner Kok and Stephen Dip­pe­nar cross­ing the white­wash to seal the re­sult.

In the semi­fi­nals, Kenya had to bat­tle hard to edge Liv­ing Le­gends 31-19 in a pul­sat­ing match. Willy Am­baka put Kenya ahead be­fore cap­tain An­drew Amonde landed Kenya’s sec­ond try for 10-0.

Liv­ing Le­gends staged a bril­liant come­back to score two quick tries through Al­lan Briggs and Peter Nzolani for a 12-10 lead at half time.

On re­sump­tion, Am­baka crossed the line early in the sec­ond half with fur­ther tries by Leonard Mu­gaisi and Billy Od­hi­ambo putting the is­sue beyond re­sult for the op­po­nents.

Kenya had edged Eye of the Tiger 3114 in the quar­ter-fi­nals. Willy Am­baka sidestepped his way to the try-line with a su­perb try with Brian Tanga kick­ing over the con­ver­sion for a 7-0 lead.

Eye of the Tiger de­fended well but even­tu­ally Kenya scored their sec­ond try through Tanga and he coolly con­verted his own try for a 14-0 lead.

Min­utes later, Brian Rays cap­i­talised on a big mis­take from Kenya, who on at­tack switched the ball back but ac­ci­den­tal landed to Rays, who raced his heart out to score be­tween the posts with the con­ver­sion com­ing good for 12-7 half­time score.

On re­sump­tion, speed-star Nel­son Oyoo showed the op­po­nents’ de­fence a clean pair of heels to touch down and ex­tend Kenya’s ad­van­tage to 17-7 with Tanga adding the ex­tra two points to widen the lead to 19-7.

Dan Sikuta then made the game safe for Shu­jaa with a well taken try to ex­tend the lead to 24-7 and Oyoo com­pleted his dou­ble with a well worked try with Tanga adding a con­ver­sion. There was time for Eye of the Tiger to score con­so­la­tion try through Brian Rays.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kenya

© PressReader. All rights reserved.