Team inspects Kisii buildings
Task force formed after collapse of 10-storey building that killed nine people. Last year the NCA stopped construction of 280 buildings for failing to meet safety standards
Following a building collapse in which nine people died, a task force is looking into the safety of buildings in major urban centres in Kisii.
The 18-member task force was formed by Governor James Ongwae. It is led by Roads and public works director Chris Nchoga.
It has 10 days to do its work and present its report to Ongwae.
Last Friday, the team inspected completed buildings and those under construction in sections of Kisii town. Speaking at his office, Ongwae said the officers will work in collaboration with the National Construction Authority.
The governor formed the task force after a 10-storey building collapsed on November 10, killing nine people. Thirty-four people, among them seven children, were injured.
Last year the building was condemned by the NCA but remained occupied. Reports indicate the approved plan was for three storeys but the developer added seven more floors.
The Nchoga team will establish the circumstances that led to its collapse. Ongwae said the team will establish whether the proprietor complied with statutory requirements. He urged proprietors and residents to cooperate with the task force.
Nchoga said they will complete the work on time.
National Buildings Inspectorate secretary Moses Nyakiongora praised the county for its quick action. He said the department has identified Kisii as one of the areas to focus on to ensure residents live and work in safe buildings.
“Our mandate is to audit buildings for compliance with registration, planning, zoning, building standards and structural soundness,” Nyakiongora said.
He said the ministry will enact a law to have buildings countrywide inspected every five years.
Police officers monitor rescue operations at the building that collapsed,- killing nine people and injuring 34 on November 10 in Kisii town