Besieged KQ boss set to quit office by March
Mbuvi Ngunze “felt it was a natural point in the company’s evolution to pass on the baton” chairman Michael Joseph says
Embattled Kenya Airways chief executive Mbuvi Ngunze will finally leave in the first quarter of 2017, the board announced yesterday. The decision will bring to an end his five-year career at the loss-making national carrier.
“While I regret this decision, I respect his position. Mbuvi will stay on until a successor is found which is expected to take some months,” chairman Michael Joseph said in a statement yesterday.
Mbuvi will have worked with KQ for over five years having joined as chief operating officer in September 2011, before succeeding Titus Naikuni as CEO in November 2014.
Joseph said Mbuvi “felt it was a natural point in the company’s evolution to pass on the baton”. The outgoing KQ boss has recently fallen out with pilots body who demanded his ouster together with former chair Dennis Awori who left last month.
“Selection of the next CEO will be a thoughtful process led by myself together with the board governance and nominations committee, which will focus on producing the right outcomes to lead KQ into its next chapter,” Jo- seph said. The process is expected to be completed within the next three months. Quarter one of 2017 runs from January to March.
“I have already started the process to search for and identify the right candidate with the relevant airline experience,” he said.
The announcement comes barely a month after former chairman ambassador Dennis Awori left the troubled airline.
The Kenya Airline Pilots Association have been calling for the exit of the two this year, issuing two strike notices in seven months (April 26 and October 11 ), after the airline recorded a series of loses.
KQ CEO Mbuvi Ngunze when he appeared before a Senate Committee at Parliament Buildings on April 7