Trial of Italian coach Claudio Barardelli now pushed to March 2017
The trial of Italian athletics coach Claudio Barardelli and two others, who have been accused of administering performance enhancing drugs to an athlete, has been pushed to next year.
When the matter came up for hearing yesterday, senior principal magistrate Joyce Gandani directed the case to be heard on March 1, 2017. The magistrate said she was not handling new matters because she has been transferred to another station.
Barardelli got a temporary reprieve after the court released his passport, to enable him travel to Italy.
The prosecution led by Duncan Ondimu, did not object to the request but said the coach should assure the court that he will be back before the hearing date.
“The first accused had been granted his request to travel. However he should deposit his passport back to the court by February 2,” Gandani ordered.
Berardelli is jointly charged together with clinical officers Stephen Kiplagat Tanui alias Kalya and Daniel Cheribo Kiplangat.
They are facing a charge of conspiracy to injure a person in their profession.
The prosecution claims on different dates between August and September 2014, in Kapsabet town in Nandi County, Barardelli, Tanui and Kiplangat conspired to administer a prohibited performance enhancing substance to world marathon champion Rita Jeptoo. The Italian coach was arrested on July 5.