Kenya rice yield low, despite rising demand, FAO records show
Kenya’s annual rice production stands at 146,000 metric tonnes against demand for up to 500,000MT, latest FAO figures show.
The country heavily relies on imports, mainly from Asia, despite the high production potential it has. This emerged during the ongoing workshop on sustainable rice systems development in Sub-Saharan Africa at the Kenya Agriculture and Livestock Research Organisation in Naivasha. FAO’s Peter Anaadumba yesterday said although significant progress has been made, the overreliance on imports raises a serious food security concern. “Rice is a staple food, particularly in some Sub-Saharan countries, where expanding populations depend on the produce as a cornerstone of their diet,” he said.
Anaadumba said about 90 per cent of rice grown in Kenya is in irrigation schemes established by the government, while the remaining 10 per cent is produced under rain-fed conditions. Anaadumba said FAO is keen to support farmers to improve production to meet rising demand.