Two Moi Girls’ stu­dents with se­ri­ous burns to stay in hospi­tal

‘We had 10 stu­dents ad­mit­ted and we have dis­charged five’

The Star (Kenya) - - Front Page - GIL­BERT KOECH @KoechJu­nior_1

Two of the Moi Girls’ School stu­dents with se­ri­ous burns will stay in the Nairobi Women’s Hospi­tal longer.

Eight stu­dents lost their lives in a dor­mi­tory fire in the wee hours of Satur­day morn­ing.

Nairobi Women’s Hospi­tal CEO Felix Wan­jala yes­ter­day said the two suf­fered 66 per cent and 18 per cent burns, re­spec­tively.

They will have to stay at the hospi­tal for two to three weeks.

“We had 10 stu­dents ad­mit­ted and we have dis­charged five. We still have five ad­mit­ted,” Wan­jala told the press at the hospi­tal.

“Of the five, we have three who we are con­fi­dent will go home to­mor­row [to­day]. That leaves us with two.”

He said the state will foot the med­i­cal bill as Ed­u­ca­tion CS Fred Ma­tiang’i had promised.

The CS vis­ited the hos­pi­tals on Satur­day. He later vis­ited two more stu­dents at the Nairobi Hospi­tal.

The CEO said four coun­sel­lors from the hospi­tal’s gen­der vi­o­lence re­cov­ery were help­ing the stu­dents and par­ents come to terms with the tragedy.

One of the stu­dents was re­ferred to Gertrude’s Chil­dren’s Hospi­tal, fol­low­ing a re­quest from her par­ents.

Wan­jala said 51 stu­dents were ad­mit­ted, but 40 have been dis­charged.

He said the one with 66 per cent burns will need re­con­struc­tive surgery, but at the mo­ment they are treat­ing her wounds.

“We have the ca­pac­ity to do re­con­struc­tive surgery,” he said.

At least 10 stu­dents have been listed as miss­ing at the Kenya Red Cross So­ci­ety in­for­ma­tion desk at the school.

Yes­ter­day, par­ents trooped to the hospi­tal to find out the con­di­tion of their chil­dren.

Ti­tus Wan­jala and his wife Zippy vis­ited the hospi­tal, where their 14-year-old girl is ad­mit­ted.

The two said they learned about the in­ci­dent when a teacher called them.

“Tasha was brought in on Satur­day and she is do­ing well. She will be dis­charged to­day [yes­ter­day],” they said. Zippy said their daugh­ter in­haled car­bon diox­ide and had been placed un­der 24 hours ob­ser­va­tion.

“The school and gov­ern­ment has been very sup­port­ive as each teacher has a list of the stu­dents,” Wan­jala said. The gov­ern­ment has mean­while closed down the school for two weeks.


A par­ent is as­sisted af­ter a fire killed eight stu­dents at Moi Girls’ High School, Nairobi, on Satur­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kenya

© PressReader. All rights reserved.