Scribes go on trial over coup bid:
Prominent journalists were among 17 people who went on trial in Istanbul on Monday on charges of links to the group allegedly behind last year’s failed coup, in a case that has amplified concerns over press freedom in Turkey.
The trial is the first to include journalists arrested in connection with the July 15 coup under the state of emergency imposed shortly after. More cases are set to go to court in the next few months.
All those on trial are accused of links to the US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen who Ankara says masterminded the bid to oust Erdogan. The coup left 249 dead, not including the plotters. Ten of the 17 suspects are on the run while six remain in custody and another remains free pending trial, an AFP correspondent said.
Those accused include the veteran writer Nazli Ilicak who was one of the very first journalists arrested in July after the coup. Briefly an MP from 1999, she wrote for dailies including Hurriyet.